Scallop report

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redbelly7

Scallop report

Post by redbelly7 »

I saw a report that there were twice as many scallops in St. Joe Bay as last year. Have any of you guys seen a report on Keaton or St. Marks this year?
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: Scallop report

Post by tallykenj »

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/mol ... ps/season/

St. Marks isn't looking good. I'm hoping they will show up late rather than not show up at all. I'm surprised by the big fluctuations from one year to the next.
The Back Porch
bman

Post by bman »

A buddy was looking at StJoe this week and said they were few and far between...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Wow,...the outlook for St marks ain't good.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

:( :thumbdown: :smt009
Flatsbroke
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Thanks, looks like Crystal River is the place to scallop this year. Are there plenty of places to stay down there? I"ve never been there.
RIGSBN8R

Post by RIGSBN8R »

Did anyone scallop in St. Joe Bay last year that can confirm that the scalloping was sub-par? We scalloped St. Marks last year and I can't say that it was any better than 2011, when the numbers where 1/3 as much. I just don't know how much weight to put into these reports.
Troutinator

Post by Troutinator »

While fishing around Lanark a couple of weeks ago, I kept seeing some few and far between in the bay. But one very odd thing I noticed that they were actually swimming to the surface like they were gulping for air. I have always seen them on the bottom and occasionally moving across through the grass but never coming to the surface like this. this did occur several times during the drifts my boy and I were doing.
He who loses control, Loses!
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

Rusty G and I saw a few back near stony and palmetto island not too long ago but no real numbers.. Hope it is close to last year St. Marks was full...had to go no further than grey mare and hit my limit several times last year. In total I belive I went 10 times last year because its my girl's favorite thing to do but every trip we limited out..
Outdoorsnole

Post by Outdoorsnole »

Checked a few places close to grey mare last weekend and only found a few. I looked in 4 ft, 7 ft, and around 10 ft when I was checking put a rock pile. It's not looking too good there.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

Crystal River has a few places to stay. When I'm down there I stay at the Quilaty Inn. It's nothing special, but free breakfast and a clean room for $50 a night you cant beat it. There's plenty of good eating around there too. The only down side to staying IN Crystal River is, there is no Walmart. You have to go south to Homosassa Springs for Wally World.