Tarpon at St Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

Tarpon at St Marks

Post by Terrier »

I was fly fishing the bar at St Marks yesterday and while I caught nothing I saw what looked like a pod of tarpon swim bay - fins were like miniature shark fins. Something had been busting baitfish off and on all morning - I figured they were spanish until one came completely out of the water, around 4 feet long - my first I thought was that it was a king mackerel but "upon further review" realized it couldn't be due to the location and all the freshwater rolling down the river. Plus it was too chunky. So if you want to wadefish for Tarpon try St Marks. Watch out for the gators - there were two hanging out at the bar.
ontiltttttt

Re: Tarpon at St Marks

Post by ontiltttttt »

Saw some small gators in Panacea as well. Makes me want some fried gator tail, mmmm :lick:
ggoodman

Post by ggoodman »

Took my uncle out on a nasty day fishing about 2 weeks ago and saw one jump. right out of panacea.
GG
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

Terrier wrote:\ Watch out for the gators - there were two hanging out at the bar.
Which bar do you mean? The oyster bars?
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

jslorenz3 wrote:
Terrier wrote:\ Watch out for the gators - there were two hanging out at the bar.
The wash bar by the boat ramp channel -it's awash at high tide, but normally high and dry on the low.
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

Terrier wrote:
jslorenz3 wrote:
The wash bar by the boat ramp channel -it's awash at high tide, but normally high and dry on the low.
Gotcha :thumbup:
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major