New Rod Advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ontiltttttt

New Rod Advice

Post by ontiltttttt »

Hope everybody is having a great Friday!

I'm in need of some advice for a new rod for my Penn Slammer 260. A couple of weeks ago while fishing in Panacea I hooked into a hefty ray and he broke my old inshore rod which I dubbed the "wet noodle" due to it's extremely whippy tip. I've been wanting to replace it for a while so I wasn't too sad about it breaking but now it leaves me with the daunting task of replacing it.

Though my extensive research I've narrowed it down to these medium power, fast-action rods:

Hurricane Calico Jack 7' (CAJ-455)
Line Wt 8-17 lbs

Hurricane Calico Jack 7'6 (CAJ-457)
Line Wt 8-17 lbs

Hurricane Redbone 7' (RB-455)
Line Wt 8-17 lbs
Lure Wt 3/8-3/4 oz

Hurricane Redbone 7'6" (RB-465)
Line Wt 8-17 lbs
Lure Wt 3/8-3/4 oz

Crowder E Series 7' (ESS708)
Line Wt 8-15 lbs
1/4-3/4 oz

St Croix Triumph 7'6 (TRS76MF)
Line Wt 6-12
Lure Wt 1/4-5/8 oz

St. Croix Mojo Bass Inshore 7' & 7'6
Line Wt 6-12 lb
Lure Wt 3/16-5/8 oz

I use my Slammer primarily inshore so I'm looking for something that can handle everything from finicky trout to an over-slot redfish. My main question was regarding rod length; as you can see from my list I have both the 7' and 7'6" lengths listed but I'm not sure which would be better suited for my style of fishing. I've heard that a 7'6 will cast further vs a 7' with the same output in energy but wouldn't a longer rod be more vulnerable to snapped tips? :smt017

My reel is spooled with 8 lb Ande mono and I have a spare spool with 10 lb PowerPro. In addition, I generally throw soft plastics on jig heads. I don't want another "wet noodle" but something with a little whip to get a little distance to spooky reds.

I've tried out all of those listed above (with my reel) and I'm leaning more towards the Redbone or the Calico Jack; any horror stories or objections that I should know about? Should I look into a different brand that isn't listed above? Thank you guys for all of your time! :-)
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: New Rod Advice

Post by Gulf Coast »

Never heard of half those rods, that said I have a Falcon and 4 Marsh Master rods that are 6-8 years old.....they work fine :smt004
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

My St. Croix Mojo Inshores have held up well, my daughter landed a 38" redfish on her ML action 7' rod with no rod issues...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

That's a pretty good lineup you've got there, ontilttttt.

You really can't go wrong with a 7' or a 7.5' in a MF. I like a 7.5' just a little better for plastics; don't worry about snapage. 7' for popping corks. 6.5' for down-angle topwater.

If you gotta choose just one rod to cover all bases but with a priority on plastics on jig heads, then I would go with a 7.5' MF.

Course that's just my opinion, and you know what they say, "Everybody's got one."

I know how it feels to be conflicted about getting the right quality rod. Hate to make the wrong choice; right?

Here's the deal . . . Clearly you know what ballpark your in. Plenty of good inshore rods in that price range. My advice is to take you reel (fully spooled) to the store and test fit it on a few rods; checking balance, comfort, solid feel, and love factor :smt055 . You'll know it when you feel it.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

Thanks for the input fellas, I really appreciate it.

Harmsway, so with a 2000 series reel you'd go with the 7'6? I actually did bring my fully spooled reel into a sporting goods store to try out the 7'6 and 7 ft Hurricane rods and the "outdoor expert" told me I'd be happier with the 7' but couldn't give me a concrete reason why. I mainly throw soft plastics but I also use topwaters, popping corks, and live/cut bait. Could you maybe shed some light on 7'6 vs 7 ft rods (pros/cons/etc)?

I researched the Redbone vs the Calico Jack and the main difference I found was that the blank goes all the way through the handle in the Redbone and it has a lifetime warranty (I could be mistaken?). I've also heard only good things about the St Croix rods (warrant, fishability, comfort, etc.) but when I tried them out, I couldn't find much of a difference between them and the Hurricanes except the higher price tag.

Again, thank you guys for your help and please excuse my ignorance on the topic! :smt023
bman

Post by bman »

I fish 3000 reels inshore and like a 7'6' rod for general fishing.
The extra length does feel like it gives me a longer cast.

I can see how a smaller 2000 reel may just feel better on a 7 foot rod.

Have you thought about a Shimano Clarus? It has been a great rod for me. $100 and great warranty service from Kevins.
I own three and would buy another one :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

ontiltttttt wrote:I mainly throw soft plastics but I also use topwaters, popping corks, and live/cut bait. Could you maybe shed some light on 7'6 vs 7 ft rods (pros/cons/etc)?
Hang in there, ontiltttt, there's bound to be way more qualified inshore fishermen than me weighing in on this for you.

I'm guessing most will say its hard to get one rod to do every thing really well, so choose based on you primary fishing style, and let the rest of the cards fall where they may. Its sorta the "good, better, best" thing . . . You could get a rod that is better for plastics, and it will be good for plugs and natural bait. Or, if you want to play the middle ground, get get a rod suited for a wider range of lure weights, and accept the tradeoffs.

7' vs 7.5' for Slammer 260? . . . If you want a little more casting distance, then 7.5' is the way to go. I guess most people will agree that a 7' rod is a better match for a size 2 reel, but really, that Slammer 260 has enough azz for a 7.5'.

The thing to do is 1) settle on power (prolly medium or ML), 2) settle on action (prolly fast or mod fast), 3) choose lure weight range, and 4) then match the line weight rating with the reel's line weight rating (okay to get rod rated for a little more than reel).

Translation . . . Dude, get the lightest, highest-quality "inshore" rod you can afford; 7' or 7.5' (not much difference) in M or ML power with a F or MF action that is well balanced when fitted with that awesome Slammer 260.

I've heard it said that the best general-purpose inshore rod is a 7MF (and I agree). You want a "little whip", so that puts you one rung down on the stiffness ladder to chose between 7MLF or 7MMF.

For you, who wants a rod for mostly plastics with a little whip to pair with Slammer 260, I'm betting most would recommend a 7MLF or 7MMF.

Fish with confidence, never look back, have no buyer's remorse. You can update your quiver as you go; leave your wish list (with model numbers and where to buy) in conspicuous places just in case your people need help choosing awesome birthday and Christmas presents.
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... php?t=5603
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5rq5f1 ... ata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbeYT3 ... ata_player
Last edited by Harmsway on July 14th, 2013, 9:56 am, edited 8 times in total.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I don't think you can go wrong w any of them. You will get more distance w a 7.5 but more accuracy w a 7. For tw you will want a 7 or shorter if you fish like most and keep your rod tip down. I personally like a little larger reel (4000 and over) for tw rigs, because I lost a good red on a spook that I couldn't" catch up to" when he hit my plug and ran towards the boat. Go to Kevin's or south ga outdoors and get a rod w an over the counter warrantee. Shimano and st croix have good ones. If you buy from Kevin's or sgo you won't need a receipt. Take your broken rod in and walk out w a new one. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

Ive had my Redbones for years...I don't think they Have the Lifetime warranty anymore, I do like the feel of them and the Calico jack, but, I've switched to the W&M Blair Wiggins model and the 7'6" " Shimano Clarus from Kevin's..break one and they'll replace for 15 bucks...Good luck in your search...
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi