3 in 1

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jslorenz3

3 in 1

Post by jslorenz3 »

Okay, so I was lucky and was able to get out three times this week, and I didn't have time to post individual reports so here goes a quick 3 for 1 report.

Monday afternoon, I fished at the lighthouse. I didn't know what to expect with all the recent freshwater, but I was convinced that the only way to find out is to get the line in the water. As soon as I got out east of the lighthouse (just west of Stoney Bayou) I put on the mask and snorkel to check for scallops. I haven't seen any good reports of scallops coming from St. Marks, but I wanted to see for myself. Well, as it turns out there is a reason there aren't any good reports. Water was decently clear, but very tannic. Swam around for about 45 minutes and didn't see a single scallop. Hardly even saw any bait fish or any signs of life in the water. When I popped my head out of the water, I heard booming thunder and a massive dark cloud approaching from the east. Ran back to the boat ramp channel and threw out the anchor and weathered the storm and the pavilion there. Met a nice couple who was fishing from shore, but didn't catch their names. After the storm passed, I headed back out to Sand Cove. Tide was coming in, and there was bait everywhere. Schools of bait all over, and fish hitting the bait pretty regularly. Didn't have a cast net (of course; I had sold it a few days prior and was too lazy to get a new one), and I had a few strikes on topwater and on redfish magic but wasn't able to land anything. Very frustrating. On the way out I saw three deer inside the refuge, and one was a decent looking buck.

Tuesday afternoon, I went back to the lighthouse with my new 7 ft cast net. Same gameplan for my attack. Wind was howling, and a storm blew onshore just north/east of the lighthouse, but really kicked up the wind. Waited that storm out and then got into Sand Cove. Same story, bait everywhere, but not as many attacks. I was able to net some ladyfish, which was odd, but I cut them up and threw out some cut bait. I saw some redfish, but again wasn't able to connect. I caught plenty of ladyfish. Redfishing is very frustrating for me when I see them but can't catch them. Saw a beautiful sunset, picture at the end. Saw a couple more deer that night on the way out as well.

Wednesday, I took my roommate to Lanark to go scalloping. It was my first time to Lanark, and I was impressed. Ran east through the PVC poles and just got in the water once we got near some other boats. We came across a long prop scar, maybe a couple hundred yards long. It proved to be the honey hole just working the edges of it. We easily pulled almost a two man limit out of that single prop scar. It was almost too easy. I've been to Steinhatchee twice this year and done well both times, but the scallops at Lanark were on average, noticeably larger. Finished with our 4 gallons and made it back in before sunset. Got home and fried up the scallops for us and the other roommates.

I know this was a long post, but if you made it here thanks for reading!

Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: 3 in 1

Post by Salty Gator »

Good report. Those reds at st marks can be tricky. They get a lot of pressure. Some days you can hit them in the back w a bad cast and they will turn to eat it and some days you can make the perfect cast and they will ignore it. They must have been not biting if they turned down cut ladyfish. Maybe without the normal armada of scallopers there, the fishing will be better this summer. I wish I could say the same about lanark.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
culrich
Site Sponsor

Re: 3 in 1

Post by culrich »

Thanks for coming to Lanark! Glad you were able to get some of those tasty scallops! :lick:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!