Help Picking out a Fly rod

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hollywood
Site Sponsor

Help Picking out a Fly rod

Post by Hollywood »

I could use some help picking out a set up for red fish and trout, what size and what are some good entry level brands or models.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Help Picking out a Fly rod

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I NEVER USED A FLYROD ON SALT WATER FISH, RATHER USE SPIN OR CASTING REEL.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
bman

Post by bman »

For the price its had to beat the bass pro dogwood canyon / white river packages... $99 rod, reel and line.
I got a 4 weight about 10 years ago and its still catching bream, bass and freshwater trout.

I would not go lower than an 7 for salt... and to be fair its not a salt grade rig but would be a cheap way to try it out.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Hollywood
Site Sponsor

Post by Hollywood »

I dont mind spending $200-$300 for a good saltwater setup I just needed to know what size and a decent brand to go with.
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

I recommend casting as many as you can. Everyone's casting stroke is different and what someone else likes may not be suited to you. Cape Harbour in Tallahassee carries TFO, Sage, and Orvis. Kevins carry Loomis, TFO, and Orvis. Those are the only shops in Tallahassee. The TFO,s will give you the most bang for the money plus they have a warranty that's hard to beat. Typically 8 - 9 wts are best in our area due to the wind and size of flies needed. For redfish and trout the reel is not that big of a concern. Just get one that will hold up in salt. Don't skimp on the fly line. I like the SA redfish tapers, Airflo saltwater, and the new Orvis Hydro Wonderlines.

The local fly fishing club also has casting clinics about once a quarter and it's a good opportunity to try out several makes and models of rods. I'll find out when the next one is planned and post here if interested.
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

I'll just be blunt, $300 is going to put you in a cheap outfit that will be trash in a year if you stick with fly fishing. You might can get away with $500 for a decent rod, reel and line.

We're not talking 4wts for freshwater, fly fishing in salt is a different beast, your throwing heavy flies, dealing with hard winds and big fish. Reds and trout don't need a hefty reel, but you never know when that school of jack crevalle might come swimming by.

I would go with an 8wt TFO to begin like NoleFear mentioned. The BVK is a super nice rod, and is a little more forgiving than some of their faster rods. It's a $250 rod, and that's cheap compared to the equivalents of the more expensive companies. TFO also has a better warranty and CS than Sage, Scott etc, trust me I know, I've recently had to send a couple rods back to those companies and came out of it less than happy.

Reels just take your pick, but do some research on how they hold up. Again, you'll be lucky to find a decent reel for under $150. You might look at the Ross Flyrise with your budget, get one with a warranty.

Line is expensive, which you might not realize if you think you can get a combo for $300. The good lines run $80 - $100, and don't forget your backing. Orvis rebrands some SA lines for a little cheaper, I would shop Kevins and Cape, maybe online for a last years model line and possibly get it for $50 or so. As long as it's a weight forward you'll be ok to begin.

Oh, and get casting lessons, you don't want to self teach yourself bad casting habits.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

hollywood give call 229 941 5319
ggoodman

Post by ggoodman »

Id like to know when the next club meeting is. I just moved back from Alaska and got hooked on Fly fishing while up there. Would love to get into some salt water action up here...... have boat willing to share in exchange for help with gas....

Ive got two rods I bought while up there knowing I would be coming home.

G loomis cross current 8wt feels like a 9wt wearing a nautilous CCF, 9 wt tarpon taper line
Sage rod 8wt with ross reel supposedly sealed and ok for salt use but it's awfuly whippy.

Ive cought silver, red, and king salmon on both and they are easily as big as the inshore fish down here, the sage setup cost me ~300 with backing and line. It's not near the fit finish or casting ability of the G loomis but it will get the job done.

Spend the money if you can, learning to fly cast on junk is a pain in the ass and you will get frustrated. Look for used to there are a bunch on microskiff.com right now. There's a g loomis just like mine for a very fair price http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1375585765.
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

GGoodman, the next meeting is Thursday August 16th at Rays Steel City Saloon from 6pm - 9pm. We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month. Great bunch of guys who enjoy sharing knowledge. We also have several certified instructors who are members and active in the club. Come on out if you can.
ggoodman

Post by ggoodman »

awesome, do you mean Thursday august 15? my calendar says 16th is a friday.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Depends on how much you want to spend, but this would be a nice light weight set-up:

- 8wt TFO BVK
- Nautilus FWX 7/8
- Wulff Bermuda 8wt line
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

How much you spend doesn't always mean your buying superior equipment. Weighting things from most important to least for reds and trout - casting ability, line, rod & reel. Warranty and price range for TFO rods and reels just about can't be beat. That is all I use - a TFO rod and reel in a 7 wt would be plenty IMO - if you are springing for only one setup - may go to a 9wt so you can fish on the windy days.

My first setup was a TFO 7 wt - thought it was crap - couldn't cast it for nothing...placed in the hands of a master fly instructor - he made two hauls and dumped the reel to the backing - that is why casting ability is the most important aspect. Like owning a Porsche - if you can't drive it you only look cool at the red light.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have always preferred an 8-weight combo for trout/reds. It's heavy enough to cast big deerhair bugs like Dahlberg Divers for reds, even in the wind, but it's not too heavy to be overmatched with Deceivers, Clouser minnows or shrimp patterns (my trout favorites). As others have mentioned, the action of a rod is subject to individual preferences. Most beginners are more comfortable with a medium action that's more forgiving at first. A decent large arbor reel that will hold 125-150 yards of backing will suffice for most situations in our area. Even if you do hook a big jack, you can always chase it, plus an 8-weight is a good size for bonefish and snook for out-of-town trips.

Cabelas has several combo packages on sale right now, including with Winston rods ($365) or TFOs. I've owned the Offshore Angler combos in the past as well (Bass Pro saltwater house brand) and they are very good options for the money. With the new store opening in Tallahassee in a couple weeks, it might be worth a trip to lay your hands on one and get a feel for the rod.

Kevin's and Cape Harbor Outfitters in Tallahassee both have a nice fly tackle section, although many of their lines are geared towards experienced casters and are priced accordingly.

Good luck. When you do settle on an outfit get some casting lessons early before you learn bad habits and become frustrated. You'll be glad you did.
ggoodman

Post by ggoodman »

GO figure I want to go to fly meeting and my kid does the sick cranky thing..... maybe next month
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Chalk wrote:How much you spend doesn't always mean your buying superior equipment. Weighting things from most important to least for reds and trout - casting ability, line, rod & reel. Warranty and price range for TFO rods and reels just about can't be beat. That is all I use - a TFO rod and reel in a 7 wt would be plenty IMO - if you are springing for only one setup - may go to a 9wt so you can fish on the windy days.

My first setup was a TFO 7 wt - thought it was crap - couldn't cast it for nothing...placed in the hands of a master fly instructor - he made two hauls and dumped the reel to the backing - that is why casting ability is the most important aspect. Like owning a Porsche - if you can't drive it you only look cool at the red light.
That's great info there Bro!!