Weekend fishing report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

robbankston
Site Sponsor

Weekend fishing report

Post by robbankston »

Had some friends down from Atlanta area this weekend. We fished Friday thru Sunday.

Friday we went out of Lanark and fished around Turkey point. We ended up getting chased around by a storm for about half the day. Really strange. It came out of the west heading east. We tried to skirt it to the south. Got about halfway and it turned around and headed back west. So we headed back east and fished the point again. Picked up a few trout with 1 keeper. Lady's and jack crevalles are everywhere.

Saturday we couldn't decide what the weather was doing so I suggested we get some cut bait and fish the oyster bars between mashes and bald point. I figured if we got a storm we can just run to my dock and sit on the porch to wait it out. We didn't find the reds but we caught our limit of hardhead cats and my wife picks up this nice flounder. Since the weather was cooperating and I still had a full tank of gas we ran out to Ocklockonee Shoal. It was beautiful out there and the Black sea bass were everywhere with some trout mixed in. It was so nice we saw a big group of folks out there swimming. Since we got out there late we only put a few trout and black bass in the box. You'd have to catch 10 undersized bass to find a keeper. Those things eat like piranhas.

Sunday we decided to fish the shoal again. And we felt like we struck gold. Fished the smaller shoals on the way to the bigger one and picked up another flounder and a few trout. Got to the big shoal and the fish were home again. We never caught a huge number of trout but we caught them. Fished all day putting 7 keeper trout 8 sea bass and a flounder in the cooler. We probably caught 100+ undersized sea bass. Lots of sharks, lady fish, 3 or 4 puffer fish, several lizard fish, white mouth grunts etc etc. Considering how tough it's been lately I felt like I had hit the lottery and so did my guest.

Most fish were caught using a gulp on a jighead.

It was a great weekend. :thumbup:
shark.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Re: Weekend fishing report

Post by robbankston »

I can't believe I left out one the coolest parts. Saturday afternoon at the mouth of the ocklockonee bay right in the channel I saw a 6 foot tarpon breach. We saw several more huge splashes on them was a huge ray. That was very cool to see though.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Last edited by tallykenj on September 8th, 2013, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Back Porch
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Dang! That's a good weekend alright. 8-)
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
bman

Post by bman »

Heck Yea Nice box of fish :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

"Can't beat that with a stick!" You did good! Sounds like you also had a lot of family fun.

Don't get any better that that! Keep fishing and giving us those good reports.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Perch Jerker
Site Sponsor

Post by Perch Jerker »

Good deal. Thanks for the report.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Nice report, I fished outside of Piney Island yestrday. I was on the flats near the red channel marker. There was afew trt around(3 keepers) lost 3 mirrodine lures to S macks. There was a few of those "bouy jacks around too. As high water made I went inshore and got a couple of reds. Then the weather caused me to call it quits. Water was cleaner(some) than it haS BEEN AND THERE WAS less floating grass
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

luceror wrote:Nice report, I fished outside of Piney Island yestrday. I was on the flats near the red channel marker. There was afew trt around(3 keepers) lost 3 mirrodine lures to S macks. There was a few of those "bouy jacks around too. As high water made I went inshore and got a couple of reds. Then the weather caused me to call it quits. Water was cleaner(some) than it haS BEEN AND THERE WAS less floating grass
That's good to hear! The shoal is nice but I'm looking forward to fishing the flats again.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Nice report and good info.. Thanks!