Watch your step out there, guys - snakes are crawling!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

manley
Site Sponsor

Watch your step out there, guys - snakes are crawling!

Post by manley »

Monday, the wife found a cottonmouth knocking on the garage door when she went to take out the trash. He was just under 2 feet long, but still deadly. I was at work, but my neighbor was at home and was able to send him to Hades for me. Because this was a young snake, he looked differently than many moccasins. In fact, some folks that have seen the picture have said "timber rattler," while others have said "copperhead."

Last night at about 8, I took the dogs out and found another one in the back yard. He was just under 3 feet long and had the distinctive & nasty cottonmouth appearance that we are all familiar with... almost black, with no stripes. I used the Kaiser blade to send him to Hades.

Be careful, and watch the kids and pets! I live in a subdivision, not the woods... they're crawling.
bman

Re: Watch your step out there, guys - snakes are crawling!

Post by bman »

I killed one in Southwood a few weeks back about 30 yards from a group of kids playing.

Then over the weekend a buddy posted that a Moccasin struck at his friends bike right in front of him on one of the Southwood trails.
Snake got stuck in the spokes :o

I had too add this ;-)
I picked up a kaiser blade that was a layin' there by the screen door, some folks calls it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade. it's just a long handle like a axe handle with a long blade on it that's shaped kind of like a banana. Sharp on one edge and dull on the other. It's what the highway boys use to cut down weeds and whatnot.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

I saw this one a few weeks ago heading to St. Marks. Biggest rattler I've ever seen. Stretched the entire width of the lane on Woodville Highway. Gave me the willies so bad I had a tough time taking the picture. :oops:
stmarks rattler.JPG
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

They are bad this year. One got one of our cats that was a good hunter and 12 years old. I have personally killed 3 in the last week around here (Mocassins)

The big ones I can see, it is the little 6 and 8 inch ones that i worry about.....had one a few years back strike at my foot at the back doorstep. He still had a yellow tail. Luckily, he missed and shortly after met his (or her) maker....

You can bet this year I am a little more cautious where I am stepping.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

image.jpg
Yep, killed last week in the yard. Had a rabbit in its mouth.
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Kaiser Blade, what I call a Bush Axe.

Ya'll are making the Snake Lovers cringe.

Question: What is better than a dead Snake?

Answer: Another one!

I like um DEAD!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Golforfish?

Post by Golforfish? »

Damn I hate snakes. Having 2 toddlers I always worry. Luckily I have seen a few black snakes in the yard so they will run the bad ones out.
TLB2

Post by TLB2 »

I shot a cottonmouth this evening in my dads yard.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Last week my son told me to come in the kitchen. In a short hall to the laundry room was a 2.5 King snake. He herded him out the door. We haven't a lot of issues with poison snakes in the yard except a couple of Copperheads over the years. I guess our cotton mouths stay down near the river. Snakes don't bother me much but I'd hate to die from a heart attack as opposed to a snake bite.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
cotton

Post by cotton »

I've killed to many to be considered a snake lover. But, I have stopped and move rattlers out of the road when away from homes.

The ones I see don't scare me. The ones I don't, scare me enough to make me ill.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I was mowing at the farm late yesterday afternoon and saw one in the driveway. When I made the trip back, there wasn't enough left of him to make an ID other than he is now a chineese puzzle snake! :-D
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

TallyFish wrote:A good guide to keep handy: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/herpetology.htm

Thanks….that is a good un!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

robbankston wrote:I saw this one a few weeks ago heading to St. Marks. Biggest rattler I've ever seen. Stretched the entire width of the lane on Woodville Highway. Gave me the willies so bad I had a tough time taking the picture. :oops:
stmarks rattler.JPG
Where is the after picture? :o
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!