If you were going to buy one rifle?

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Re: If you were going to buy one rifle?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Now for a bit more serious, albeit sentimental more than logical, input.

Hard to argue against either a .270 or .30-06, but my sentimental favorite is a .30-30 lever, as it was the first rifle I ever owned. It doesn't get much love anymore, and with reason. After 150 yards it does drop like a rock in comparison to other more modern rounds, but when taking short range shots I love it. I used mine to hunt deer trails and creek crossings in South Carolina as a young man and never had to shoot a deer with more than one shot. Most of the deer I shot didn't travel more than 30 feet, if at all. Positive for the .30-30 is that it has about half the recoil of the .30-06 and notably less than .270 also. Lightweight gun, easier to use in heavier cover, and quite capable to at least 100 yards.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Growing up I had friends bragging about killing deer at 200 and 300 yards with .30-06s, but I took more pride in the fact that I was using hunting skills to mask my movement and scent to the point that I was taking kill shots at 20 yards.

Just as with a boat, truly depends on what you're going to do with it. Going to hunt long open fields or power pole clearings, go with the .270 or .30-06. Going to hunt thick stuff and take shots under 50 yards or so, the .30-30 is a great gun (and probably has killed more deer in the south over the last 100 year than either the .270 or the .30-06).
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Another vote for Remington model 700 in a .270. If you want to spend a little more and like an autoloader, It's hard to beat a Browning BAR (.270) for accuracy and reliability.
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

I've been a huge fan of the .270 since I switched over from 30-06 but the 06 is hard to beat in Browning BAR. I've been shooting my .270 in Ruger M77 MkII for the last ten years and its a tack driver but sure miss having the autoloader when I've needed it.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Post by Rangerpat »

If you want to keep it simple, get a bolt-action rifle made of stainless steel with a synthetic stock in either .30-'06 or .270 caliber.
Remington and Ruger make excellent rifles, it all depends on how much money you want to spend.
Buy a quality rifle scope in 3-9 x 40mm, I like Leupold scopes, made in the USA with a lifetime warranty.
As others have said, depending on how far you plan to shoot may influence your scope power and caliber decision. Good luck!
kom06

Post by kom06 »

I own three rifles I would hunt deer with. Each has a specific purpose but each could be used for all three purposes if I had to use one. I have an older Marlin 1894 in 44 mag with iron sights. It is good up to about 100 yards but plI primarily like to use it when hunting thick brush with shots of 50 or less. I have a bolt action Sporterized Springfield 1903A3 from WWII in .30-06. I have just mounted a scope on it. .30-06 is cheap and the weapon isn't worth a whole lot to anyone but me so I can drag it in places where it can get dinged or dented. If I want to be able to shoot fast with little recoil I pull out the Older Browning BAR in .270 with a wooden stock. It's deadly accurate for a semi auto and light on the recoil. A synthetic stock on a .270 and .30-06 is light to carry but will beat you up when sighting it in and hunting. I prefer the classic look and feel of wooden stocks.

If I could only have one and just one rifle I would have an older Belgium Browning BAR Safari in .30-06. Don't get one with a BOSS Tip. They are tricky to figure out.

What it comes down to is whatever feels comfortable on your shoulder. I like older rifles because I believe they were built better. And don't think .30-06 is over kill for these parts. I've seen .270s that didn't leave exit wounds or a blood trail before. One of your shotguns would probably work great in close quarters as well. Or you could buy a rifled barrel for one of your shotguns and mount a scope to it. That works as well.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

I can't believe no one has said lever action 30-30. If I could only have one rifle that would be it. :thumbup:
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D I dont like getting beat up by a magnum caliber. I love my Browning A-bolt in .243. :-D Or a Savage 110 w accutrigger in the same caliber.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

I missed this one. I agree with all said!
big bend gyrene wrote:Now for a bit more serious, albeit sentimental more than logical, input.

Hard to argue against either a .270 or .30-06, but my sentimental favorite is a .30-30 lever, as it was the first rifle I ever owned. It doesn't get much love anymore, and with reason. After 150 yards it does drop like a rock in comparison to other more modern rounds, but when taking short range shots I love it. I used mine to hunt deer trails and creek crossings in South Carolina as a young man and never had to shoot a deer with more than one shot. Most of the deer I shot didn't travel more than 30 feet, if at all. Positive for the .30-30 is that it has about half the recoil of the .30-06 and notably less than .270 also. Lightweight gun, easier to use in heavier cover, and quite capable to at least 100 yards.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Growing up I had friends bragging about killing deer at 200 and 300 yards with .30-06s, but I took more pride in the fact that I was using hunting skills to mask my movement and scent to the point that I was taking kill shots at 20 yards.

Just as with a boat, truly depends on what you're going to do with it. Going to hunt long open fields or power pole clearings, go with the .270 or .30-06. Going to hunt thick stuff and take shots under 50 yards or so, the .30-30 is a great gun (and probably has killed more deer in the south over the last 100 year than either the .270 or the .30-06).
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
bman

Post by bman »

See how complicated this all is :o

Still doing my research...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Remington .270. I also have a 7MM mag, but the .270 is still my favorite.
"Plan for the worst."
altuck

Post by altuck »

I don't think it matters so much what caliber (at least 243 or larger) or model you choose, so much as does it fit you well and can you shoot it well.
I killed a lot of deer for a lot of years with a Ruger 77 25-06.
With aging eyes and an accident left one arm shortened I found I didn't shoot it as well.
I got a Remington model 7 in 308 which fit well.
In the last 5 years it has taken 11 deer. All one shot kills.

altuck
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Barry, I have a Browning A-bolt in both .243, .270 & .280: Remington 780 in 22/250 and a Rossi .308

The Remington 22/250 is my favorite for deer hunting. Cheap ammo ($22 for 20 shells in 55 gr.), fast bullet with great shock/stop factor. Never had a deer run after being hit with this one. Next would be .243

Let me know if you wanna go try a few and it might help you make up your mind easier :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

No Brainer...

Remember, you can NEVER have too much gun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0CBaW9FEI

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.