SGI - 13 October

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

SGI - 13 October

Post by Terrier »

Fished St George from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Tried the Gulf for a few hours to see if I could get a pompano but no luck there. I did get 8 large ladyfish and a whiting. The lady fish were busting baitfish all over the place. Next I went over to the Youth Camp boat ramp and struck out so I headed over to Rattlesnake Cove and found some good action - 2 flounder (14" and 13"), 7 speckled trout (20.5", 17", 16", 15" 15" and two shorts), 2 white trout (both around 13"), and 2 large croaker and another ladyfish. I also lost a few, one that felt like a redfish. I kept the flounder and the two large trout and released everything else. The trout and flounder came on pink/white/chartreuse marabou/ostrich clousers . Nothing really picture worthy, but good steady action. There were lots of baitfish everywhere I went; things should really be good next week with the full moon.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: SGI - 13 October

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks for the fishing report. Things are warming up for sure.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Gumbo

Re: SGI - 13 October

Post by Gumbo »

I fished the youth camp early Saturday morning on the rising tide. Two nice trout and a big red. All on fresh cut bait (pinfish). Had some shrimp, all they got me was the pinfish. Also cast netted some live bait (pilchards and small mullet) but didn't get any bites on those. Bite turned cold soon as the tide topped off. Also had no luck on the beach side. Water over there is gin clear and got real flat in the afternoon. When the breeze died, those biting flies came out and chased us inside to watch football.

The fall mullet run is on big time. Even someone like me with limited netting skills can fill up a bucket with some big fatties.