South Fork Idaho

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flanders
Site Sponsor

South Fork Idaho

Post by Flanders »

Finally hooked up with some local folks up here for the first time and took a trip to the famous South Fork I have been hearing so much about. Let me tell you, the fly fishing up here aint no joke!!!
Felt like a kid in a candy store. Fishing for Rainbows, Browns, and Cut Throats. Fish I had only seen on the TV shows until the past weekend.

In the little time since March when I moved up here all I have heard of was fishing these drift boats down the river. One rows while the other fish's. Now don't get me wrong, I am not knocking it and I have never tried it, but.. that didn't seem like my cup of tea. I'm use to fishing the flats with Dad (FHC) and gassing it to get to our spots. Well the fellas I went out with are in same mind set at me. Aluminum boat with power! These guys knew their stuff and I don't think I could had better guides on my first trip if I had paid for it..
We juiced it up the river and hit their holes. I would guess we landed anywhere from 25 - 30 fish and one only knows how many I missed or got off. We would truck up to some spots, we would see them tailing or coming up striking at bugs.. Park the boat, get out in our waders and bust their @$$ until they finally got spooked and went down.
I was a little nervous about how my performance would be due to the fact I'm use to hauling a 8wt or heaver line at reds and specs but I feel I held my own. I was given compliments about my casting skills but you never know if they were being honest or just nice and felt sorry for me.. :lol:

A few pics from the trip. I didn't take too many, didn't want to act like I had never caught a fish before...
Attachments
2013-10-19 13.14.27.jpg
2013-10-19 12.40.36.jpg
2013-10-19 12.40.16.jpg
2013-10-19 13.32.50.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
carolinaskiff238dlv

Re: South Fork Idaho

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

I got to try me some of that!
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Re: South Fork Idaho

Post by guthooked »

Man that is beautiful country. I have been there in the winter when it's covered in snow but never in the summer/fall.