Crums Landing ??

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rosco

Crums Landing ??

Post by rosco »

Daddy still talks about fishing out of crums landing as a small boy. He does not know what a speckled trout is but remembers catching many sand trout. He remembers going down in wagon and mule team to fish. He speaks of putting in at crums landing but I cannot locate the exact location. What I know and he remembers are two differant things. Anyboby know where crums landing was or is ? I fish the big bend and am not sure of its location. Thanks for any help given.
Залив Апачи
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Crums Landing ??

Post by SS-342 »

This is an interesting post. I'm 72 years old and in my family the horse/mule wagon train trips occurred in my grandparents day.

How old is your daddy?

Hope someone will answer about the location of Crum's Landing.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I certainly could be wrong :oops: but I think that they used to have a dirt landing, back behind where Crum's Mini Mall is now "take the road between Crum's and the shopping plaza" :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
rosco

Post by rosco »

SS-342 , My Dads 84. When he was small the only autos they had were a model A and a tractor. With nine children a wagon was the only way to go. In latter years they had a 1 ton Ford flatbed they would go down in. I can imagine the trip from south Georgia.
Weavans, Thanks for the info. I know where your talking about. He talks about the family renting a boat at crums landing and going fishing. Row boats when he was young and small outboards in later years. Just trying to sync his memories with my experiances. Thanks for your help.
Залив Апачи
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

SS-342 wrote:This is an interesting post. I'm 72 years old and in my family the horse/mule wagon train trips occurred in my grandparents day.

How old is your daddy?

Hope someone will answer about the location of Crum's Landing.
I'm with you. I'm not nearly as old as you, but the only one I remember talking about mule wagon trips was a gentlemen who was in his 70's when I was in my teens. He spoke of trip he, his father and a couple of friends would make to the coast each fall in a mule wagon with wooden kegs and bags of salt. They would catch, clean, salt the fish and pack them in the kegs to bring home. He said the road from old town to the mouth of the Suwanee was just a two rut wagon road that was sometimes hard to recognize as a road. He talked of rowing out and the fish being so thick that it soon became a work trip, not a fun trip. He ended up building a place at the mouth of the Suwanee and all he could talk about was how much better he had it than his parents.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I will check with my father in law but I believe he used to fish out of or near a Crums fish camp located between Lanark and Carabelle. I think it was close to where that semi Newley built two story condo building is, the one that is raised on stilts and sits empty. He has told me they would rent wooden boats there and his father would bring his own motor yo put on the boat.
2Old

Post by 2Old »

leonreno wrote:I will check with my father in law but I believe he used to fish out of or near a Crums fish camp located between Lanark and Carabelle. I think it was close to where that semi Newley built two story condo building is, the one that is raised on stilts and sits empty. He has told me they would rent wooden boats there and his father would bring his own motor yo put on the boat.
This was owned by George Crum. He also had a motel on the site. Anna Wakee boys school purchased the motel when they were in operation.

George Crum was my mother's uncle. His father was Hardy Crum. George and two of his brothers Lloyd and Sweet were commercial fishermen. They also had a "cabin" at Turkey Point where they would stay during run season.

George's sons Harley, Fred, and another whose name I can't remember operated an "deep sea" party boat from over at the St. James location. Later, they began commercial snapper and grouper fishing. The one whose name I cannot remember was lost at sea.

I know this casts no light on the location of Crum's landing but it maybe gives a little historical perspective to the discussion.
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Post by illinoisfisherman »

2Old wrote:
leonreno wrote:I will check with my father in law but I believe he used to fish out of or near a Crums fish camp located between Lanark and Carabelle. I think it was close to where that semi Newley built two story condo building is, the one that is raised on stilts and sits empty. He has told me they would rent wooden boats there and his father would bring his own motor yo put on the boat.
This was owned by George Crum. He also had a motel on the site. Anna Wakee boys school purchased the motel when they were in operation.

George Crum was my mother's uncle. His father was Hardy Crum. George and two of his brothers Lloyd and Sweet were commercial fishermen. They also had a "cabin" at Turkey Point where they would stay during run season.

George's sons Harley, Fred, and another whose name I can't remember operated an "deep sea" party boat from over at the St. James location. Later, they began commercial snapper and grouper fishing. The one whose name I cannot remember was lost at sea.

I know this casts no light on the location of Crum's landing but it maybe gives a little historical perspective to the discussion.
That place is just about 1000 feet or so west of the new townhomes. The motel was destroyed by either Katrina or Dennis and torn down. The vacant lot where the motel stood has lengths of PVC pipe laying on it the last time I saw it. Just a bit further west of that is a yellow home with a green roof. The "block house" in the yard is all that is left of the old fish house/seafood company. The fishing is fantastic around there and I could see that being a destination "back in the day" as well as today.