Motor

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

setty7

Motor

Post by setty7 »

Guys,
What should I do to my motor for the winter? Should I try and crank once a week and let run for 10 minutes or so? Do I need to run seafoam throught it? Help please! I really appreciate it. Merry Christmas!
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Motor

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I PUT STABIL IN MY FUEL AND CRANK THE ENGINE EVERY OTHER WEEK FOR A FEW MINUTES. THIS IS IN ADDITION TO REGULAR OIL GAS MIX. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS ON MY 1985 V-4 85 HP EVINRUDE SINCE 1984 AND SHE HAS NEVER REFUSED TO START UNLESS THE BATTERY WAS DEAD, THIS HAPPEDED SEVERAL TIMES ABOUT 5 YRS. APART. I KEEP MY RIG IN A CLOSED GARAGE ALL THE TIME EXCEPT WHEN FISHING, BE SURE TO PUT RABBIT EARS ON THE FOOT INTAKE AND TURN ON THE WATER BEFORE CRANKING.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Setty, we might not be much help around here. We don't give our boats a break over the Winter. :-)
Team Jolly Mon
setty7

Post by setty7 »

I wish I could take it out right now. Just started a new job and doing school online. Do I need to put stabil in it even though I run Ethanol free gas?
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

I would. I put it in anything that will sit for more than a couple weeks,ethanol or not. :thumbup:
setty7

Post by setty7 »

awesome! Thanks guys. How does the seafoam work? What do I need to do?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Setty: Not wanting to confused the issue but I use Star-Tron. I had used these other brands and had problems but not with Star-Tron. I noticed a problem more in my chain saw and switched everything over to Star-Tron.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

I was told by a Yamaha engineer not to use Stabil in non-ethanol gas. He said there is no point. He told me never to mix ethanol and non-ethanol gas but if I only had non-ethanol, just leave it alone. What do you guys think?
Team Jolly Mon
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I took a buddy and his friend fishing about 10 years ago. Turns out my buddy's friend was a petrol engineer for then Amoco. He said any fuel that is stored for extended periods benefited from a stabilizer of some sort. You have to vent tanks and that smell you smell is octane leaving the tank. A good stabilizer reduces that.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

MudDucker wrote:I took a buddy and his friend fishing about 10 years ago. Turns out my buddy's friend was a petrol engineer for then Amoco. He said any fuel that is stored for extended periods benefited from a stabilizer of some sort. You have to vent tanks and that smell you smell is octane leaving the tank. A good stabilizer reduces that.
Thanks MD! Coming from my favorite attorney, I will take that advice! :-)
Team Jolly Mon