Dennis Creek Shell Mound Cedar Key

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Luv2Yak

Dennis Creek Shell Mound Cedar Key

Post by Luv2Yak »

Is Dennis Creek (south of Shell Mound near Cedar Key) a good place for kayak fishing? If so, tips welcomed. Thanks.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Dennis Creek Shell Mound Cedar Key

Post by Steve Stinson »

I don't think most of the folks on this forum get that far South. I camped at the shell mound park last year during the cold weather. Due to the extreme low tides, the only folks that could get out of the boat ramp at the park were the air boaters, who would skim across the slick mud until they reached the water.

My wife and I remembered crossing that creek on the way to the campsite, so we loaded up a canoe and went down there. Paddled and fished the length of the creek with no bites or fish. The thing I didn't understand, is that the creek was loaded with bait. My bet is that we hit it on a bad day.

Good luck if you give it a try.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

When I lived in Gainesville we used to fish the she mound area quite a bit. We never fished south, only north. Raleigh and Clark island area and on back into preachers hole. Awesome area to fish. It should be ok in a yak but be mindful of the tides. Our general rule( in a Jon boat mostly) was to fish for 2 hrs before and after hi tide. Good luck let me know if I can help more.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Luv2Yak

Post by Luv2Yak »

Steve Stinson wrote:I don't think most of the folks on this forum get that far South. I camped at the shell mound park last year during the cold weather. Due to the extreme low tides, the only folks that could get out of the boat ramp at the park were the air boaters, who would skim across the slick mud until they reached the water.

My wife and I remembered crossing that creek on the way to the campsite, so we loaded up a canoe and went down there. Paddled and fished the length of the creek with no bites or fish. The thing I didn't understand, is that the creek was loaded with bait. My bet is that we hit it on a bad day.

Good luck if you give it a try.
Thanks for your reply.

Did you see any/many alligators (maybe not if it was cold)? This past summer when we were fishing at Shell Mound (wooden walk-out/observation deck) we saw a gator that had to be 8'.

When walking the trail at Shell Mound back toward Dennis Creek it looks like a "fishy" area but haven't actually caught much there other than catfish and small sharks.
Luv2Yak

Post by Luv2Yak »

Salty Gator wrote:When I lived in Gainesville we used to fish the she mound area quite a bit. We never fished south, only north. Raleigh and Clark island area and on back into preachers hole. Awesome area to fish. It should be ok in a yak but be mindful of the tides. Our general rule( in a Jon boat mostly) was to fish for 2 hrs before and after hi tide. Good luck let me know if I can help more.
Thanks for your reply. Just curious...why only north and never south of Shell Mound? How did you fish the area and what did you catch? Other than being mindful of the tides, any dangers or hazards?