? Home made rod holders ?

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RodBow
Site Sponsor

? Home made rod holders ?

Post by RodBow »

I'm interested in making rod holders to attach to the aluminum Starcraft.
Was thinking about using short lengths of 1 1/2" Schedule 40 clamped to the inside of the rail just above flush - 1 or 2 per side.

Any suggestions on what kind of clamps or half-clamps that would support a strike when trolling? Anyone seen a configuration of such gizmos?
Thanks,
RodBow
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Any particular reason not to us a standard rod holder with stainless bolts and lock nutts? I just don't see any clamp on holding against a strike from a big Spanish, much less a Grouper or King :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I can see the man is just being frugal, instead of spending cash on something he can whip up himself :lol: . Rod Bow, if you can attach it with screws, or bolts, then you could drill a small pilot hole all the way through the pipe. Then come back with a large drill bit and drill one side of the pipe only. This will give you room to get a screwdriver and screw into the inside of the pipe, and let you attach it firmly to the transom or wherever else you can mount it. A piece of schedule 40 mounted with good hardware in this manner would take a lot of abuse.
If you're interested in this idea, but I was'nt very clear in explaining let me know and I'll see if I can find an illustration some where, if someone else don't beat me to it :D .
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Thanks Fish and wevans. Yea, frugal is a good way of putting it. If someone has a illustration, that would be great.
Thanks!

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Sorry Rod Bow, but I could'nt find an illustration so I had to break out the crayons. I hope you can understand it :-D .

I would also use a flat washer as big as you can get in there for added strength.
Fish Masterson
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Fish is on the money with his illustration. The only thing I would do different is bolt through, rather than screws.
What was I supposed to do today?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Thanks for the info ... that hacksaw is around here somewhere. :-?

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

The Fentress single rod holders are only $3.99 each they look great and are slotted at the top to hold the reelseat. :-D Basspro and Cabellas have them.
nautigator

Post by nautigator »

do take a heat gun or torch and heat the top end of the pvc until just soft. be careful especially with the torch as you can burn or even catch the pvc on fire. Take the heated end and push down on a bottle or simularly tapered object. Spray some water on it to rapidly cool it off. Now the top will have a more professional look to it and save marring on your gear. I made some years ago on an old boat, but I made them for holding a bunch of rods, I copied the ones my dad had on his boat he paid about $80 for. My total cost was about $10. I even went so far as to seat the pvc in wood by using a holesaw. It came out pretty trick... I wish I had a picture to post of it.