Van Staal Reels

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Van Staal Reels

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Do any of you guys fish Van Staal? I have a couple of 14 year old Stradics that need to be replaced and I have always wanted a Van Staal. I'm just curious to hear an honest review.
Team Jolly Mon
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Van Staal Reels

Post by silverking »

I've got VS150 that I use for cobia and tarpon. Precision piece of machinery, but they're heavy. Not a reel that's meant for casting all day unless you want a real workout. For sight-fishing and a butter smooth drag, they are hard to beat.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

silverking wrote:I've got VS150 that I use for cobia and tarpon. Precision piece of machinery, but they're heavy. Not a reel that's meant for casting all day unless you want a real workout. For sight-fishing and a butter smooth drag, they are hard to beat.
Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I didn't realize they were so heavy.
Team Jolly Mon
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

For inshore and flats fishing you would probably be looking at the VSB 100 or the VM 150. Both hold a ton of line and have very heavy drag availability.
The VSB is completely waterproof including the drag. It is the traditional Van Staal design. Solid metal construction, stainless steel gears, manual bail (it will not automatically close), and very rugged. At 16 ounces it is the lightest of the lineup and can lock down to 27 pounds of drag. Price averages $650. The VM 150 is more of a boat reel, as opposed to surf fishing. It does not have a sealed drag. It weighs in at 22 ounces, and has incorporated some aluminum in it's construction. The drag can be locked down to 20 pounds and the bail can be closed by turning the handle. Average price is $450
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Dave,
FishinFool can add more insight since he works on them, but I really love the new Shimano Sustains. One step below the Stellas in terms of price, ball bearings, etc. but very smooth action and drag system. All the latest design features are incorporated into them and it's now into the second generation of production. The only thing I would change on them is the EVA handle knob. I prefer the rubber ones instead. But if you're looking at purchasing a high-end reel that will perform well for years, the Sustain deserves a long look. Price tag is about $325-350, although you might be able to find a sale at some of the Shimano dealers. Kevin's has a good inventory, not sure about SGO.
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

I've used Van Staals when I lived in South Florida and offshore fished. They are one heck of reel that will stand up to a lifetime of abuse. The Van Staals have fantastic drag systems that allow you to fight huge fish from a small reel. However, they are heavy and not the smoothest reel. For inshore fishing, especially if you plan to cast artificals all day on the water I would look at something else. Being a Shimano fan I would look at the Stellas and Sustains if you want a highend reel. These will be much smoother and lighter for inshore work.
bman

Post by bman »

I'm watching this thread to see what forum members have BIG Money!
$$ :smt110 $$
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Those of us with no kids have more disposable income than some others and take advantage of "bubba deals" whenever possible. You get what you pay for and quality gear lasts a long, long time.

I also have some Stellas in my collection which are the bomb. And by the way, all my tackle is guarded by a Rottweiler and small arsenal.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

VanStalls are taking over as the reel of choice on fishing piers because of their awesome drag and huge line capacity. They are made for the braid. However, as others have said, unless you have arms like Popeye they will wear you out casting. Also, the original company was bought out by Zebco, so I don't know if the quality is the same. Time and the cobia/kingfish runs will tell that tale. If I had the money...I would probably buy one. But since I'm cheap, I'll stick with the Penn SS and Slammer line. Good middle-priced reels. That's my 2-cents worth.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the advice guys!
Team Jolly Mon
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

For those looking for a cheaper but good reel for cobia/kings/ tarpon Penn has re-released the venerable 706Z. I saw that SGO had one in-stock if you want one. Great pier and surf reel, also great boat reel asking as you don't want to cast it all day, it's also a hefty reel.
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

From what I heard Pure Fishing has bought most of the rod and reel manufacturers and most of their
production is in China. Zebco was one of the first to go, and Penn is another one wholly owned. They haven't gobbled up Shimano yet, but it would be smart to find out where the reel is made. I've heard (I don't know it for a fact) that Penn reels aren't made in the USA any more and don't have the same build quality as their older reels had. I don't know if this has been discussed before. If so, maybe I'm wrong here.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

That's a shame...
Team Jolly Mon
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

Stay with shimano that is all I have ever known you to use it wouldn't look right to see you with anything else lol!!!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Ha! You are right Kyle.
Team Jolly Mon