Best 2 week period for all around flats fishing???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

slayer

Best 2 week period for all around flats fishing???

Post by slayer »

trying to get a trip put together...with work and my friends schedule, its hard to get a 4-5 day trip put together from up here in Atlanta ....but thats another story...

I did want to ask yalls opinion on what yall thought the best 2 week period of spring fishing was.....I know my way around real well 10 miles either side of Keaton Beach, grew up in Hahira and spent many many days in that area....

Trout and reds is what we mainly fish for, but also wanted to add some sheepshead fishing to the mix, I know they are only in for hot and heavy for a relatively short period of time.....

I know "Anytime you can go, is a good time", but again, kids, work, friends schedule makes it harder for me to get the details worked out...thats why I was hoping the people that live close and fish a lot in the area, consider to be their MAGIC TIME, as far as spring fishing...any input would be appreciated ....
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

Hit-n-Miss

Re: Best 2 week period for all around flats fishing???

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

The way the weather has been I'd say the first or last 2 weeks of April. Sheeps will be gone though I bet. Or as soon as the Dogwood's bloom(here in south Ga). :-D
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

my favorite time of the spring would have to be the beginning or middle of march considering the winds are not too bad. as the water starts to rise into the low 70's all the fish start to move back on the flats.this is a magic time most of the locals call "the flats explosion". the reds and trout will start to take topwater baits more aggressively. :-D :-D :-D. however if you wait untill april most of the cold fronts are long gone. the topwater bite is in full swing and a bunch of the pelagic fish are really coming thru these parts. Spanish mackerel, cobia, and the occasional pompano can all be caught on the flats.
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

I think the boom is different everywhere ya go. For some places its end of may for others its the month of march. For me, I really enjoy the middle of April. Trout begin to get very active and hardbaits still produce alot of fish.
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA