Totally off topic....glass clean up

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Totally off topic....glass clean up

Post by Danibeth »

i'll be buying a house out there....assuming it all goes through to closing, which it's looking more positive at this point...and it appears as though previous owners or someone used the back part of the property as a dump. That kind of thing drives me nuts but oh well. Anyway, there is a good deal of glass back there. some of it big shards too. I can definitely pick up the stuff that is on the top but some i'm sure is buried.

At this point there is no fence and i've got two dogs that i'll be building a fence for. I don't want to extend the fence all the way to the back yet because of the amount of glass that is back there. Is there a way to clean the glass up, that may be buried? Or at least bring it to the surface so it can be picked up? The boys love to run and chase balls so i'd hate for them to go skidding across the dirt and get into some glass I didn't know was there because it was under the dirt a little ways.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Danibeth
DWilliams

Re: Totally off topic....glass clean up

Post by DWilliams »

Use a front end loader and box blade, dig as deep a hole as you can, use the loader to skim the broken glass until you reach clean dirt and fill in hole with bad dirt, use good dirt to back fill, use box to level. Hopefully you do not have a large area to clean. Or you could have dirt hauled in and cover up the glass if drainage is not an issue.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Going to be hard to get it all. I have been picking up galss, tiny glass bottles, pottery pieces, metal etc for years at my place. As soon as you think you got it all and a few rains later more is exposed.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

DWilliams wrote:Use a front end loader and box blade, dig as deep a hole as you can, use the loader to skim the broken glass until you reach clean dirt and fill in hole with bad dirt, use good dirt to back fill, use box to level. Hopefully you do not have a large area to clean. Or you could have dirt hauled in and cover up the glass if drainage is not an issue.
:thumbup: Might wanna wait til the water level drops a little before you dig too deep a hole with a front end loader, but that's how I'd do it.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Thanks guys. The only thing I worry about with the excavator is accidentally excavating the pipe that runs from the well to the house :o

Thanks for the ideas ....i know the neighbor has a tractor of some sort so perhaps they'd be willing to help out somehow....
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Unless its a foreclosure, a sellers disclosure "should" accompany the contract, and that "should" detail what the seller knows about whatever is buried on the property. If this can be done the seller "might" be able to pinpoint where the buried trash is, instead of you over excavating in hope of finding all of it.
That said, I agree the best way to remove all of it is to dig with a tractor.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
bman

Post by bman »

rocket wrote:Unless its a foreclosure, a sellers disclosure "should" accompany the contract, and that "should" detail what the seller knows about whatever is buried on the property. If this can be done the seller "might" be able to pinpoint where the buried trash is, instead of you over excavating in hope of finding all of it.
I'm her Realtor... and its an old estate and the heirs don't know a lot.
They have cleaned it up a lot but there is still pieces of things scattered all over.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

I know of a not-too-old estate that's certified glass-shard-free and even comes with an extra fenced in dog run area in the back. If the deals not done, feel free to check it out. Barry SHOULD know how to find it. :roll: :wink:

http://tours.sunlightpc.com/92038
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

bman wrote:
rocket wrote:Unless its a foreclosure, a sellers disclosure "should" accompany the contract, and that "should" detail what the seller knows about whatever is buried on the property. If this can be done the seller "might" be able to pinpoint where the buried trash is, instead of you over excavating in hope of finding all of it.
I'm her Realtor... and its an old estate and the heirs don't know a lot.
They have cleaned it up a lot but there is still pieces of things scattered all over.
With you being her realtor then she is in good hands! :thumbup: :beer:
Stay Thirsty My Friends