Armadillo -- ***UPDATED WITH PA'S SOLUTION***

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Armadillo -- ***UPDATED WITH PA'S SOLUTION***

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ok, though sure see lots of dead armadillos living out in Lloyd, FL, only have seen 1 or 2 inside my 5 acre home site over the past dozen years. Just bought more acreage a couple of miles away and though I've only spotted one or two thus far, lots and I mean LOTS of holes dug out at the new place. They're mainly along a fenceline (directly under the bottom wire) but a few in fields too. All are big enough a football would fit in them. Pretty sure all are armadillo holes. So here are the questions:

1) Any other local critters that make holes of similar size? Know gopher turtle holes are about same size but those I've seen are shaped a bit flatter / have dirt mounds around the edges, and you'll often see the gopher turtles out and about. These are just deep round holes, again about the size of a football.

2) How aggressively should I try to get rid of armadillos? Don't love having the holes at the fence line but also worry if deserted whether or not diamondbacks will inhabit them (don't hate rattlers, but these holes are too close to our new home for comfort). Also worry about dogs / kids / ME breaking an ankle or even leg in the ones in the fields. Any other motivating factors for killing them / or to the other point any value in not killing them?
Last edited by big bend gyrene on March 25th, 2014, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Armadillo & Bonus Game Trail Question

Post by Gulf Coast »

Any other motivating factors for killing them / or to the other point any value in not killing them?

I love the smell of gun powder in the mornings !! :smt004
Chiefnockahoma

Post by Chiefnockahoma »

Shootem!!!!!!!!! It's fun to watch them bounce!! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Gulf Coast wrote:Any other motivating factors for killing them / or to the other point any value in not killing them?

I love the smell of gun powder in the mornings !! :smt004

Smells like....sniff....victory
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

They're easy to trap once you've figured out their travel routes, and it looks like you've found at least 1. Set yourself a live trap with 2 6' boards funneling into the entrance of the trap. Armadillos have poor eyesight and travel along the same paths/corridors routinely...they'll walk right in.

Aside from tearing the crap out of your yard, a few reasons to kill them include: they're an invasive species, they wreak havoc on quail and turkey nests, they can carry leprosy, they're ugly, they wreak havoc on quail and turkey nests...did I mention they wreak havoc on quail and turkey nests?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

^ What RCS said. They're an invasive species (and they're ugly). I've got an armadillo hunting dog you can borrow if you want him. He's really a junkyard dog, but he sure does like catching armadillos. I hope he don't catch no leprosy.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

Choot em BBG, choot em!
TurtleCat
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

skip the live trap, dillos will destroy a live trap in short order. Go with a snare or just shoot em. You can also dig a deep hole along the path, put a trashcan in the bottom, and fill with water...

You DID get a backhoe with that fancy tractor didn't you?
850-273-8818
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

If you have cats or small pets, I wouldn't risk setting snares. They're effective, but they also don't discriminate.

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be illegal to release an armadillo, That leaves a few options...shoot them in the trap, drop them in the swimming pool/trashcan filled with water, or have someone ready with a baseball bat and open the trap door. If you do opt to shoot them, whether in out of a trap, be warned...armadillos are spring-loaded blood bombs. It doesn't matter what you shoot it with or where you hit it, it's going to jump forwards, backwards, flip, somersault, spin, and sling blood like nothing you've ever seen.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

RCS wrote:It doesn't matter what you shoot it with or where you hit it, it's going to jump forwards, backwards, flip, somersault, spin, and sling blood like nothing you've ever seen.
RCS, sounds like it's a good thing I target cobia when on the water... pretty much the same way I would describe pulling in green ones! :-D :lol:

Since nobody's really chimed in with a redeeming reason to keep them around, I did some serious digging back through the BBF archives looking for answers. Quite entertaining, and definitely learned I'm not the first asking the question. This thread was pretty good. As little fishing as I'm doing lately think I'm going to try the 30lb flouro leader suggestion. http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =5&t=19672

Above shared, nothing, and I mean NOTHING appealed to this Marine's sense of adventure like the story PA shared back in 2007. Buried deep in the middle of a long thread, so I'll just paste it below. Guess I better get the discs hooked up to the tractor. :thumbup: :beer:

As told by PA:

"THE STORY ABOUT THE ARMADILLOS IS A TRUE ONE. ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO THE ARMADILLOS WERE TEARING OUR LAWN UP EVERY NIGHT. I DECIDED TO SEE IF I COULD FIND THEIR HOLE. I FINALLY FOUND WHERE THEY WERE RAISING THEIR YOUNG. IT WAS IN A HOLE UNDER A BLOWN OVER HICKORY TREE. IT WAS ABOUT 8' WIDE AND MAYBE 6' DEEP. I SAT OFF FROM THE HOLE FOR ABOUT AN HOUR AND NONE CAME OUT. I WENT BACK TO THE SHOP AND GOT ABOUT 2 GAL OF DIESEL FUEL IN A HAND HELD SPRAYER, CARRIED A PINT OF GAS AND WENT TO THE HOLE. I SPRAYED THE DIESEL DOWN INTO THE HOLD AND I COOULD HEAR THOSE BUGGERS RUSTLING AROUND DOWN IN THE HOLD, I POURED THE GAS DOWN THE HOLE AND THREW A MATCH IN TO START THE FIRE, SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT. THOSE ARMADILLOS STARTED COMING OUT OF THAT PLACE AND ALL OF THEM WERE ON FIRE, I SHOT 18 AS THEY CAME OUT. THE REST OF THEM WENT FLYING OFF OUT INTO THE WOODS AND BEFORE I KNEW IT ALL OF THE WOODS WERE ON FIRE. I RAN BACK TO THE SHOP AND GOT THE TRACTOR , WHICH HAD THE DISC ALREADY HITCHED UP, IT TOOK ME ABOUT 4 HOURS OF DISCING BEFORE I GOT THE FIRE CONTAINED. AFTER THE FIRE DIED DOWN I STARTED LOOKING FOR THE ARMADILLOS THAT CAME OUT AND STARTED THE FIRES. AT THE FINAL COUNT I HAD ROUNDED UP A TOTAL OF 56 ARMADILLOS DEAD. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL COME BACK INTO THE LAWN SINCE THEN BUT WAS ABLE TO NAIL THEM WITH THE RIFLE. THE LAST 2 YEAR HAVE NOT BEEN BOTHERED WITH ANY.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:"
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

BBG!!!!!!! never put that story by Pa up again! I damn near whizzed my britches laughing and had tears flowing down my cheeks.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Re: Armadillo -- ***UPDATED WITH PA'S SOLUTION***

Post by RCS »

That's the best armadillo story I've ever heard/read. I would have burned up and died in that fire...seeing that play out in person would have me rolling on the ground gasping for air. :lol:
bman

Post by bman »

That made my day.. Pa, YOU ARE THE MAN!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Ha!!!! That's awesome Pa!
Team Jolly Mon
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Pa. That is the BEST EVER! I could just see them setting the woods on fire. Hope PETA don't get this story! That hole had to be larger than you thought to hold that many. I'm glad they didn't run under your house or BOAT!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP