St. Marks Lighthouse - Wed 4/2/14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

niceShoot

St. Marks Lighthouse - Wed 4/2/14

Post by niceShoot »

(cross posted from FCKA)

Not much to report. Launched with the sun, right around 6:45am from the Lighthouse haulout. Stopped by the Long Bar and threw DOA Shrimp under a Cajun Thunder, jerkbait, MirroLure twitchbait, but no sign of life whatsoever. No mullet, no nothing. Switched over to some medium deep diving Rapala and Yozuri plugs and trolled through Spanish Hole and along the dropoff heading towards the boat launch, and hooked into something that set the drag screeching. By the time I could pick up the reel I just barely felt the tension of a large, fast fish before the 60lb braid was severed. Probably a decent sized mackerel. As his trophy he took home a chartreuse/orange Rapala X-Rap.

Checked the Long Bar again after that with no luck, saw 4 or 5 small flats boats give it a shot in the meantime as well, all moved on rather quickly. Drifted some holes over the flats in front of the Lighthouse with DOA Shrimp/Cajun Thunder and popping the MirroLure suspending twitchbait into the only movement I saw all day, but nothing.

Pulled out of the water around 11am with only the one single strike on the morning. Two other paddlers were pulling out of the water as well, said they caught one keeper trout and "a few other things" that were too small. Tough day.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks Lighthouse - Wed 4/2/14

Post by captkeyser »

Good report! It happens. How dark was the water?
niceShoot

Re: St. Marks Lighthouse - Wed 4/2/14

Post by niceShoot »

Eh, sweet tea father out. Was still dark when I was near shore in the morning but was nice and clear close in when I called it a day.