To join yak navy or not?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JCC

To join yak navy or not?

Post by JCC »

Home port would be St. Teresa beach. Fishing would include TP shoal, marine lab area, and maybe up to alligator harbor. Just been thinking about something quick and easy that would not require putting the "big" boat in. I've been looking and thinking a little. This will be a haul it to the beach, fish, leave it on the beach, and haul it back up the hill to the house when time to come home. My fear is that the pedal drive would get clogged up with sand and seaweed along the beach. I'm leaning paddle. My local dealer carries several brands. He has Hobie, Native, and some others. He's encouraging me to go Jackson Cuda 14. If I do this, I will be a newbie. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at?
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Re: To join yak navy or not?

Post by Reel Addiction »

I joined last year when I didnt want to follow with the Polar. I purchased a 12 ft Native Slayer. I like it because you sit up in the yak and not down in it. Easier for me and I have better vis. It is also stable enough to stand in so I like that. I went 12 Ft because its just easier to haul. load and launch. But yaks are like ice cream. Theres a flavor for everyone.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I think you would love the cuda for what you're going to do with it. And I PROMISE you it will quickly become an addiction! You're in the perfect situation and will find yourself fishing nearly everyday in your kayak. Its a different world.
The kayak fishing community is great too!
Www.fcka.net

~~Dave
cotton

To join yak navy or not?

Post by cotton »

Why guess whether kayaking is for you. There having a demo day tomorrow. 4/5 from 9am - 3pm

This is a great opportunity to try out a bunch of kayaks and see if your missing anything in your current ride.

Contact and address for TnT Hideaway is
6527 Coastal Hwy. Crawfordville, FL 32327
Phone: 850-925-6412
Fax:850-925-7911

But many locals just call it the lower bridge (lowest bridge on the Wakulla river at the intersection of the Wakulla river and Highway 98).
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have fished and guided a lot in the area you're talking about. While there is some deeper water where a pedal model would work, many of the more productive areas are shallow. Yes, you can still paddle a pedal version, but they are not as hydrodynamic.

I have a Native Watercraft Ultimate Solo 14.5 sit-inside and it serves my purpose very well since I'm mainly using it very shallow and in the winter. If I were to replace it, however, I would look long and hard at the new Native FX Ultimates. Some very thoughtful improvements, including a wider cockpit for easier standing and more stability, dual anchor trollies and some other cool features.

I've heard a lot of good buzz about the Jackson line; just don't have any personal experience fishing one.

As RA pointed out, lots of choices and what works for one may not fit you or your style.

It is addictive, though.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Go ahead and pull the trigger. Put up some good post for us to enjoy.

Have fun!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I have been kayaking a long time. My favorite part is no gas tanks to fill, no batteries to charge, no registration to buy. It's a simple pleasure for sure. I have a power boat and I always will, but kayaking is very rewarding. You can actually hear yourself think!
Team Jolly Mon
JCC

Post by JCC »

Thanks for the replies. Working thru this. Self bailing is more important to me than dryness. So i am looking sot. I like idea of in hull rod storage. Close em up, leave em overnight, and come back next am. Worried about theft, i can chain it thru a scupper hole to a piling. The jacksons are making sense. Wonder how easy they are to stand in. On the internet, folks dont seem to have much trouble. Some fools even solo flounder gig from yaks. I could see me doing that. I am a little older but not necessarily wiser. I may very well pull this trigger or at least rent one for a weekend
Luv2Yak

Post by Luv2Yak »

Check out Nucanoe...Frontier 10 or Frontier 12.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I'm boat poor but always looking for new techniques. To get a used yak and not have to upgrade too soon what would I be looking at dollar wise?
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Luv2Yak

Post by Luv2Yak »

Pirate wrote:I'm boat poor but always looking for new techniques. To get a used yak and not have to upgrade too soon what would I be looking at dollar wise?
$500 to $1000. Stay away from "toys" and "big box sporting goods stores" brands.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

That's a bit high. You can get a great name brand used kayak for 4-6 hundred dollars. Accessories that may come with will vary.

There are great big box store options- you just have to research a bit. Ocean kayak, native, and wilderness systems all have re- badged models in the box stores. The peacador for instance is a redadged pre 09 WS tarpon.

Keep an eye on craigslist and also find out when rental shops are selling their fleet.

~~Dave
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

You will find some awesome deals in the fall if you can wait that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon