Something New? St. Marks 4/4

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

chris.harris388

Something New? St. Marks 4/4

Post by chris.harris388 »

Caught 25+ trout under a pop cork using nuclear chicken shrimp. Kept 7 keepers ranging 19-16 inches. The water was dark and ranged 67-69 degrees. All fish were caught in 4.5-3.5 ft of water. Something weird that I have never heard of before, I caught a 20 inch pompano on that pop cork set up. Anyone heard of this before? It was a fun fight. If someone can tell me how to load picks and can do so.
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Re: Something New? St. Marks 4/4

Post by turtlecat »

Become a site sponsor! I'm pretty sure this will help you w posting the pics. Or so I've been told.
TurtleCat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Don't have to be a sponsor, though it makes posting pictures quite a bit easier. Watch this... shares all you need to know. :thumbup: :beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... LTss36FZyo[/video]

Want to know the difference being a sponsor makes, this link shows comparison videos on the differences in sharing photos from photobucket versus uploading directly if a sponsor. :thumbup:

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... 11&t=34851
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

[quote="chris.harris388"] Something weird that I have never heard of before, I caught a 20 inch pompano on that pop cork set up. Anyone heard of this before? It was a fun fight.

Yes, it happened to me last year about this time of year. Was looking for trout and saw fish feeding on the surface. Threw into the troubled water and popped my cork a time or two and one latched on. Gave a real good fight. Went back for another one and they were gone. I figured just one of those once in a lift time deal.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

:thumbup: :beer:
LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE-LAWRENCE AUTO PARTS
BIG SLOUGH KENNELS
chris.harris388

Post by chris.harris388 »

Here is the photo.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I think that is a jack cravelle. Great fighting fish, but doesn't eat like a pompano.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

hey Chris, you were fishing with Chad, he and my son Brandon are good friends. I seen the same picture of your fish on his facebook page.
Pirate Girl
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Salty Gator wrote:Great fighting fish, but doesn't eat like a pompano.
Very true! Kinda like mudfish.
Last edited by slowroller on April 6th, 2014, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's definitely a jack crevalle, Chris. Both are in the jack family, but the pompano has a more rounded head. Here are the comparisons from the Florida FWC:
saltwater_jackcre_small.jpg
saltwater_jackcre_small.jpg (5.35 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
saltwater_pompflor_small.jpg
saltwater_pompflor_small.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
Both are excellent fighters, but the pompano gets the nod in the culinary department. Jacks can get nearly four times the size of a normal pompano, too.
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

It sure looks like a pompano to me. Pec fins on a jack are extended. Also a jack has a distinct black spot forward of its pec fin. And a jack has a hard bony ridge that extends from the tail fin forward down the centerline of its body several inches. The fish in the picture has none of this. Just throwing in my .02 cause I'd hate to see you shy away from eating that fish.
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

you will know for sure when you eat it.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That is a Jack, not a pompano. Don't worry Chris, similar posts show up every year. I know when I catch jacks, I really want them to be pompano also :D .We got into a school in st marks yesterday near stony. My buddy picked up a nice one on a top dog.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I'm changing my vote. After studying the photo some more and comparing it to the illustrations, I believe Noleflyfisher is right and it is a pompano. A big one at that. The glare from the sun makes the ID tougher, but if you filet it and the meat is white vs. bloody red, it's not a jack.