Cedar Key question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Challey

Cedar Key question

Post by Challey »

My first trip to Cedar Key is next week and I want to fish all week. The islands (Seahorse, Snake) with the channels running through look prime. But, there is nothing like local knowledge and I would appreciate warnings, tips, any information I can absorb. It appears trout and reds will be around but I know not where and wonder if cobia, Spanish, pompano, other species may be available. Thanks in advance, Challey
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Cedar Key question

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

MANY OYSTER BARS ALL OVER THAT AREA AND THE MOUTH OF THE CREEKS ARE REAL SHALLOW, FOLLOW THE MARKERS AND GO SLOW TILL YA LEARN WHERE YA CAN GO. THEY HAVE A GREAT LAUNCH AREA RIGHT DOWN TOWN AND SOME SUPER PLACES TO EAT SEAFOOD.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Spend some time using this computer screen. It's amazing to move a mouse across a screen, zoom in, and "collect local knowledge". That includes: 1) places to avoid, 2) places to consider going, 3) it's all there.

The coordinates will be very accurate if you take the time to look & record them. I can tell you, years ago the Cedar Key channel markers might require binoculars. Fog can also mess up "Eye Sight Navigating". Always note the marker "number", not just the closest marker. The Channel to the west was curvy. Your GPS & a working recorder will solve most of these problems, if you slow down and know how to use them...... correctly. Most late model GPS units will have a chart card, so just follow the cursor and watch the recorder....... & note each Marker number. Water depths, oysters, drop offs, are all on chart cards and also internet chart viewers.

A web site I have used is florida-offshore.com. It's free, log in, then go to the Blue Water Chart. There are other free internet programs that will allow you to navigate across an "unknown" area......... on a computer screen, while drinking coffee at home, and never, ever, running aground.

Challey, this is a great time to fish that area. Do the homework and get down there soon. Never hurts to slow down a little, doesn't sound like you are worried about being first. :lol:
Last edited by Ifishtoo on April 9th, 2014, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luv2Yak

Post by Luv2Yak »

Look at Corrigan's Reef and Shell Mound north into the Preacher's Hole.
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

Ifishtoo wrote:Spend some time using this computer screen. It's amazing to move a mouse across a screen, zoom in, and "collect local knowledge". That includes: 1) places to avoid, 2) places to consider going, 3) it's all there.

The coordinates will be very accurate if you take the time to look & record them. I can tell you, years ago the Cedar Key channel markers might require binoculars. Fog can also mess up "Eye Sight Navigating". Always note the marker "number", not just the closest marker. The Channel to the west was curvy. Your GPS & a working recorder will solve most of these problems, if you slow down and know how to use them...... correctly. Most late model GPS units will have a chart card, so just follow the cursor and watch the recorder....... & note each Marker number. Water depths, oysters, drop offs, are all on chart cards and also internet chart viewers.

A web site I have used is florida-offshore.com. It's free, log in, then go to the Blue Water Chart. There are other free internet programs that will allow you to navigate across an "unknown" area......... on a computer screen, while drinking coffee at home, and never, ever, running aground.

Challey, this is a great time to fish that area. Do the homework and get down there soon. Never hurts to slow down a little, doesn't sound like you are worried about being first. :lol:

:thumbup: Very good info

'
LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE-LAWRENCE AUTO PARTS
BIG SLOUGH KENNELS
Challey

Post by Challey »

Thanks you guys, great advice and I appreciate it. You are right "Ifishtoo", I have no reason to hurry. I love to explore almost as much as I fish and with that you best take it easy. Might run into one or more and if so, the beer's on me. Later, Challey
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Luv2Yak wrote:Look at Corrigan's Reef and Shell Mound north into the Preacher's Hole.
X2
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

being that CK is the main area that we fish, for trout fish backside od snake. no rock or o bars, but be on the lookout for sudden depth changes the best depth is usuallu in the 3 to 4 foot area and of course always fish the potholes. the biggest problem in this area is the sand bars. dead mans chanel is always good but be on the look out for the depth changes here also ,north kea is good if the water has cleared since I was there two weeks ago. Reds in close to the island and trout in the flats. you find SMacks in the flats snd on sea horse reef . good luck if you want a guide for a trip send me a pm and I can help with a good one.you can also call me . 352 427 7000 cell