braid knots

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hiljun

braid knots

Post by Hiljun »

I have a 7' ML Temple Fork Outfitters rod with a Penn 3000 battle and 20# braid. I can't remember the brand but 150 yards was $50. If I fish live or frozen baits its great if I try to fish an artificial it will knot every second or third cast. I understand its due to the frequency of cast is there a solution to this? I love the setup but this is really limiting my fishing so before I throw $50 in the trash is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance I know from previous question if there is an answer you guys have it.
mraquatics

Re: braid knots

Post by mraquatics »

I had a similar problem last year. Replaced my line, which helped, but eventually the knots began again. Eventually it turned out to be a stuck bearing on the roller that fed my spool. The line would twist as I wrapped it on instead of smoothly rolling over the bearing. Was only an issue when I was fishing light tackle; the heavier tackle kept the line tight on the cast avoiding the knot. I got the bearing fixed, and I now have swivels attached to most my lures or leader. Never had an issue since.
Michael K
"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims its whole life?"
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Have you tried, when you go in or out for the day, cutting the tackle off and just spooling a lot of line out behind the boat and "trolling" at slow speeds for a while? We have that problem sometimes and getting knots and birdsnests with braid but it's usually the ten pound braid. We let line out like i described usually for mono that has gotten all twisted up but we've done it a time or two for braid that is constantly giving us problems. It unwinds itself that way. Might try that.....

whatever you do hope it works

Danibeth
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

I wish I'd kept track of the brands of braid that have knotted up on me, but since I've used many different brands I think it's just the nature of the stuff. They probably all do it because it's so limp. Try to keep it untwisted by occasionally changing lures or trolling the bare line behind a boat (not too fast...there's a lot of resistance even with nothing on the end). I lost about fifty yards of braid yesterday in a so-called 'wind knot'. I had overshot and snagged an oyster cluster with my lure, and after yanking on it a few times the lure came loose, but the very next cast, against the wind, it knotted. It was so knotted I just cut it all loose and worked with less line. Now I'll never spend big bucks on braid for spinning. The baitcasting reel (for which this stuff was originally made) handles it fine. I will be going back to monofilament for spinning unless I really need 30 to 50 lb test for long casts or for pressuring a fish away from a wreck or reef. For trout and reds around here, with few snags, you don't have to pressure the fish so why not use lighter test line in monofilament?
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

Manually close your bail...This will help tremendously...
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

BeeeReady wrote:Manually close your bail...This will help tremendously...
This and only this will solve the problem. Haven't had a wind knot in years.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I started closing the bell manually years ago, I checked the bearing today and it is rolling as it should. It is with lighter lures that I have the problem. I will try spooling the line out tomorrow after church and see if it helps.

Thanks for all the advice!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Suffix 832 !!!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CHANGE THAT CRAP BRAID OUT AND PUT ON SOME ANDE 8 POUND MONO AND SET YOUR DRAG ON 10 POUNDS, I HAVE NEVER BROKEN THIS SET UP WHILE FISHING FOR TROUT, REDS, SPANISH, BLUES AND FLOUNDER. IF YOU ARE FISHING FOR LARGER FISH JUST INCREASE THE SIZE OF THE LINE ACCORDINGLY. I HAVE BEEN USING ABU GARCIA REELS FOR YEARS AND THE DRAG WORKS PERFECTLY ALL THE TIME.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Tom Keels wrote:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

captkeyser wrote:
Tom Keels wrote:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
I can't say never but not often on the wind knots but never on twisting. I use PowerPro on 4000 Shimano Stradic reels and like it! I like it so much, I wouldn't want anything else.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I've had this problem on rare occasions and I use braid on almost every reel I have. It's something that will happen rarely but if it happens more than once every 6 or so trips I'd say you have a problem with your rod or reel. The rod guides can effect it but the reel is usually the culprit. Keep the braid on the spool tight, close it by hand, and let some off behind the boat to help but this won't solve it. Something is mucking up your line and I'd guess it's the reel.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Depending on the rod as well your line could be wrapping around the guides and causing knots as well. 50$ for 150 yards of braid isn't cheap. Not sure what brand you have but that’s high. It could be or may not be your line. If it is, try FINS's wind tamer, half the price and I don’t care if you’re fishing in a hurricane, no knots.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

Tom Keels wrote:

Never knew this. I've never had a problem with wind knots, but I have ALWAYS closed the bail,manually. Dad taught me yaers ago that it was easier on the reel. Now, it's just habit.

I also always stop the line with my hand as the bait hits the water.