Amberjack

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

neckmoe

Amberjack

Post by neckmoe »

Was thinking of trying to target some Amberjack and wanted to see if anyone could share their favorite techniques and maybe some general areas to target these fish. Want to try and land a couple but really haven't had much experience with these guys. Do they like live bait? I've heard of folks using vertical jigs....thoughts?
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Amberjack

Post by Salty Gator »

Live bait, jigs, towers or deep water wrecks with high relief
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

And an eletric reel... :smt004
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

^ only if you plan on catching more than 1 or 2 :lol: :lol:

Heavy Braid, heavy Leader, decent sized hook, and a BOOM STICK'M attitude...

Last trip out to K and V towers we loaded up. Live blue runners were their favorite, 5/0 circle hook, 60lb/80lb/100lb fluoro on 80lb diamond braid on a new Cabo80 matched up w/ an XtraHeavy Ugly Stick (Worst looking combo ever, btw...)
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

galantnole wrote:^ only if you plan on catching more than 1 or 2 :lol: :lol:

Heavy Braid, heavy Leader, decent sized hook, and a BOOM STICK'M attitude...

Last trip out to K and V towers we loaded up. Live blue runners were their favorite, 5/0 circle hook, 60lb/80lb/100lb fluoro on 80lb diamond braid on a new Cabo80 matched up w/ an XtraHeavy Ugly Stick (Worst looking combo ever, btw...)
Awesome....look forward to wearing it out.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

IMO, there isn't a better bait for amberjacks than a live hardtail (blue runner). Use a large sabiki rig or troll small spoons around marker buoys or structure and you should be able to catch a few. Dog Island Reef is a good place to find them as well. Drop them to the bottom on your grouper rod, or toss one out behind the boat on a flatline. If the AJ's are there, they'll find him pretty quick.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

You know they call them Reef Donkeys for a reason.... :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

They will wear you out at K Tower. We used cut lady fish as bait
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Years ago we used to catch them at Yamaha Reef. Used live pinfish and when they'd come to the top, we used big topwater chuggers. They're too much for me now. Ya'll have fun!
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Years ago we used to catch them at Yamaha Reef. Used live pinfish and when they'd come to the top, we used big topwater chuggers. They're too much for me now. Ya'll have fun!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

zload wrote:You know they call them Reef Donkeys for a reason.... :thumbup:
That is about the nicest thing I call those worm infested bait stealing denizens of the bottom! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!