ZTR Mowers

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

ZTR Mowers

Post by Flint River Pirate »

What kind of ZTR mowers do you guys have? I'm interested in the Hustler and especially the Scag
Last edited by Flint River Pirate on June 27th, 2014, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Jolly Mon
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Re: ZTR Mowers

Post by slowroller »

I run a 717a JD 21hp kohler. Its a 48" and cuts good. Used it HARD for two years and just my yard for 2 years,1,000 hours-no problems. Scag would be my second choice. :beer: :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE BEEN USING THE OLD STANDBY, CUB CADET FOR THE LAST 18 YRS, STILL STARTS EVERY TIME, EXCEPT WHEN I HAD A BAD BATTERY, HAVE REPLACED TWO BATTERIES IN THE LAST 18 YRS. HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE SPINDLES ON THE MOWER DECK 3 TIMES IN THIS SAME TIME PERIOD. CUTS 42 INCHES AND HAS CHANGE GEARS ON THE GO, THE TIRES ARE JUST ABOUT TO WEAR OUT, WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT IN 18 YRS. I JUST REPLACE THE MAIN DECK DRIVE BELT, THIS IS THE 3RD ONE OF THESE I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE, REPLACE ONE TRANSMISSION DRIVE BELT. CHANGE THE OIL ONCE A YEAR WHETHER IT NEEDS IT OR NOT. BEEN MOWING ABOUT 17 ACRES IN THE FRONT YARD AND ABOUT 5 ACRES IN THE BACK ABOUT 6 TIMES A YEAR. CHANGED SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES SEVERAL TIMES, THE ENGINES STILL PURRRS LIKE A CAT AND USES NO OIL, NEVER HAD TO ADD ANY BETWEEN CHANGES. I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY STILL MAKE THE LITTLE CUB OR NOT, IT IS NOT ONE OF THOSE MTD MOWERS THEY CALL CUB CADET, IT IS THE TRUE FARMALL.
PA
SEMPR FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Pa, Those old Cubs are fantastic. I've got one of the new ones and it's not the same type of machine.
Team Jolly Mon
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Deere 42". Had it about 5 years and it still cutting.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

Kubota makes a nice z mower! Lots of choices and great service if you have a problem. If u go w a deere, which is the only other z mower I would consider, make sure u get it from a deere tractor dealer! The ones sold at the box stores are not built w the same quality! Just my 2 cent.
TurtleCat
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

I looked at the Kubota but they didn't have a Kawasaki motor option. I've heard that's the only way to go?
Team Jolly Mon
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Kawasaki is what's on my deer. I said Kohler but that was my old craftsman. Both good engines.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

slowroller wrote:Kawasaki is what's on my deer. I said Kohler but that was my old craftsman. Both good engines.
Thanks!
Team Jolly Mon
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I bought my Deere from a dealer, but it has a Briggs & Stratton 16hp, which has done the job. Had to replace the carb once, but that was due to sorry fuel. I run B&S on my duck boat and air boat and I haven't had to be drug back in yet. (sound of knockin' on wood)
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

Love my Hustler, Honda 18hp, only 44 inch cut but it's fast. It's been trouble free for 5 years.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I have a 48" cut Gravely. Runs like a Deere.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

I love my 52 inch Ferris which I bought new 5years ago from Butlers in Cairo. 22 horse Kawasaki with plenty of power. The ferris has front and back shocks which I don't think any other commercial mower provides.
Good Tidings

Post by Good Tidings »

I have a Z910 John Deere. It hink its 22 HP can't remember! 54 inch cut...before that, I've had Snappers, Craftsman, etc.. This by FAR is the best mower I have ever had. I can cut 2 acres in about 1 1/2 hours....before , it would take me at least 3 1/2.....All I have done is change oil & blades regularly....Even had to cut my pasture (10 + acres) one time as my Bush Hog rotary cutter died...

There are 2 poor pieces of property these days, a lawn mower and a outboard motor that won''t work!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

You guys mow your grass during fishing season?!?! :o :-D