fire pit

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

fire pit

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Don't think I've asked this on BBF yet, but I could be wrong...

Looking for a fire pit. I really like the syrup kettle style like you see at plantations, but I'm not ok spending $1k+ on a fire pit. A buddy recently sent me pictures of an end cap to a propane tank he had cut off and legs welded on. They even made him a lid. Almost the same style as a syrup kettle. It is pretty large and he refers to it as his "forest eater." If anyone knows how to get one of these caps or has a less pricey alternative to the syrup kettle please let me know.

Thanks
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Hiljun

Re: fire pit

Post by Hiljun »

It's vastly different than what you are inquiring about but where I come from we use an old tractor rim. Just laid on the ground. It works nicely.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Hiljun wrote:It's vastly different than what you are inquiring about but where I come from we use an old tractor rim. Just laid on the ground. It works nicely.
I'm open to ideas. Do you have one you're interested in selling? Any pics of what it looks like in action? Come duck season and football season I'm looking to have some big time bonfires.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Brian -

I have one of the ones made from a propane tank. Mine has a BBQ grate that goes on top. They sell them at Tallahassee Welding in three different sizes and will probably make you a lid too.

I have been looking for the end off of a cable spool to make a table out of mine during the hotter months. You are welcome to stop by the house and take a look, or I can post a pic if I can remember to take one.

- Steve
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I've seen a few made out of pavers and can look pretty nice. Here's one my neighbor started for yard waste burning, but I think you get the idea. This idea is for the yard, won't work on a deck.

Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

That looks nice Salty Gator!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Here is another, pavers again

Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

My brother made one out of pavers for his backyard, and it looks really nice. He ended up having to remove a couple from the bottom row to work as a vent. He built a place-holder for the missing bricks where he works at a welding shop. He even built a grill to go over the top of it. When you build your own, the customization ideas are endless.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Thanks guys! I knew ya'll would have some fire pit ideas.

Steve,

I'll call the guys at Tallahassee Welding. Much appreciated.
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
Hiljun wrote:It's vastly different than what you are inquiring about but where I come from we use an old tractor rim. Just laid on the ground. It works nicely.
I'm open to ideas. Do you have one you're interested in selling? Any pics of what it looks like in action? Come duck season and football season I'm looking to have some big time bonfires.
I don't have a picture I know we burn about a dozen plus sticks of wood at a time. Not what I call a bonfire but a nice beer drinking dog and mallo roasting fire. To me a bone fire should have flames thirty feet in the air. I have buddy's that work for John Deere so when they get a bent wheel someone gets a new fire pit. I would just check with your local tractor dealer.
bman

Post by bman »

We did one out of CMU concrete blocks... sparge coated the outside and then capped it with old brick.
Its big enough to stack pallets flat inside. and they burn great ;-)
fp4.jpg
fp3.jpg
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

Wow! Really nice looking pits. Makes me want a fire. Come on fall and cooler weather.
Pangler
Site Sponsor

Post by Pangler »

Brian check with Tallahassee Welding they have a few different styles/models or they did at one time. Not sure of the costs.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Here's mine. I went to a propane dealer and purchased an old tank. You can also find them at scrap metal yards.
I use the Weber lid for grilling. The charcoal grate is leaning on the other side. I copied this design from a friend who bought one from a place in Cairo.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

trout fisher wrote:Here's mine. I went to a propane dealer and purchased an old tank. You can also find them at scrap metal yards.

I use the Weber lid for grilling. The charcoal grate is leaning on the other side. I copied this design from a friend who bought one from a place in Cairo.
Show off! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!