Alligator point help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bradleycloud

Alligator point help

Post by Bradleycloud »

Newbie fishing out of alligator point. Have found catfish on gulp and cork near channel heading out of harbor. Have found small grunts and sharks on squid at dog island shoals ( mid day due to weather) Has been fun but will take whatever info I can get for getting into trouts, reds, or even decent size grunts. Many thanks.
chris.harris388

Re: Alligator point help

Post by chris.harris388 »

I don't fish that area much but I went to St. Marks last week and fished 2.5-5 and found very few trout. I have the feeling they are in 5-8 ft of water right now with the heat. Also live shrimp produced better than gulp lately. Oh course you will have to weed through the trash fish as well.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Dog island reef can be great in the summer, but it is covered up in little sharks. A pinfish under a cork won't last 20 seconds out there. Try to cast spoons( I like adl fished slow and Johnson fished fast), subsurface plugs or soft plastics. That will cut down on your trash fish. Spanish macs, bluefish, ladyfish and trout are all there this time of year and right now it is so clear, it looks like the keys. A bonus cobia or bull red is always a possibility. Or anywhere around Lanark or turkey point shoal with good grass and 3-8 feet should be a good bet for trout. Reds are a little harder there. You may get lucky and blind cast into a school, but sight fishing is the name of the game for reds out there right now. Hope this helps, good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Bradleycloud

Post by Bradleycloud »

Thanks for the info. I will try again and let you know how it goes.
Bradleycloud

Post by Bradleycloud »

Went back to dog island reef today. Blue fish were running thru. Tried everything before my dad started catching them on a small chugger type popping bait for bass. They were crashing it hard. Caught several for about 30 minutes. Not too much success after that. How deep of water should I be throwing spoons in?