aucilla boat ramp

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mpa_72001

aucilla boat ramp

Post by mpa_72001 »

Just to let everyone know who goes to Mandalay per our paper today the ramp there will be closed starting January 5th through February.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: aucilla boat ramp

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Because?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Keep u out of my holes jumptrout lol.they are working on repairing the ramp and new docks
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Sheesh. They picked the best Aucilla fishing time of the year to close the ramp down. :-?
jcflats

Post by jcflats »

Now everyone knows that there's no trout in the Aucilla River this time of year! :wink:
"In bad need of some coastal therpy!"
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I was thinking the same thing u know how smart the government Is.i guess they thought it wouldn't be busy.
sailcat

Post by sailcat »

Does anyone know if we can slide a jon boat in to the left of the ramp that I carry in the back of my truck? Thanks!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I was there today and they have started the construction. It looks like they are pouring a slab up near where the Porto John used to be. They have not messed with the ramp or docks yet.

I think you could still hand-launch a kayak or jon boat over the sea wall upstream from the ramp. That being said, nobody was catching anything in the river today. We had to go down to the Gulf and up in some creeks to get our limit of trout. Caught some small reds also, but no keepers. Had to go get a trip in before the construction started...
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yes, the timing is off due to the normal winter trout fishery in the river. But as was explained to me during another ramp repair, the work is usually done now for a couple of reasons. There is less disruption than during the prime boating season (spring through fall). And the negative winter low tides allow greater access in pouring concrete, setting pilings, etc.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Put a big new ramp and docks at the Aucilla, and you can be there is going to be a lot more shrapnel in the river. I have hauled quite a few folks sportin' half an outboard back to the ramp at Aucilla and donated a couple myself.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Steve Stinson wrote:Put a big new ramp and docks at the Aucilla, and you can be there is going to be a lot more shrapnel in the river. I have hauled quite a few folks sportin' half an outboard back to the ramp at Aucilla and donated a couple myself.
He speaks the truth. I wonder if anyone has ever done a dive for lower units there.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Yes they have. I once hauled in a 24' bay boat with I/2 of a Yamaha 250 Vmax on it. They tried to cut around the East side of the island downstream from the ramp and didn't make it. On my way home I stopped at the store and told JR what had happened and where I found them. He went back in his airboat and retrieved the lower unit, then contacted the owners and gave it back to them.

I would think a diver could retrieve a lifetime's worth of jig heads, Miro Lures and anchors out of those rocks as well.

- Steve Stinson
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I don't mind the Aucilla as long as I can go out and come in on either a rising or high tide. I don't try it on low tide. My Dad taught me years ago where most of the bigger rocks and shallow places are, but there are many more not on his list.
Yours in the South
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I hope the "govment" does the ramp gooder than whats there. I don't care much about the dock.
As for rocks: I treat the whole river as a no wake zone and buy aluminum props by the pallet load!
bman

Post by bman »

countrycorners wrote:I buy aluminum props by the pallet load!
That right there is FUNNY :lol:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"