Deer processing without getting screwed

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Deer processing without getting screwed

Post by WolfeMan »

Simple question born from utter disgust for the way some friends and I were treated this deer season: where do you take your deer to be processed and how sure are you that you're getting ALL of YOUR meat?

As long as I've been hunting in North Florida I've been taking deer to Concord Deer Processing, every deer killed on the property I've been hunting has been taken there for 10+ years.

Never again.

Here are some examples of deer dropped off for processing and the resulting packaged meat.

All deer with maybe one exception were prepared the same way. Back-straps and tenderloins cut in half, rest of the deer half burger, half smoked sausage.

Opening week of bow/antlerless season weekend of bow season - 75 lb doe 2 mostly full grocery bags of meat
Second or third weekend of the season - 90 lb doe - Two heaping paper grocery bags full of meat.
Last month of season - 96 lb doe - 1 decent bag of meat plus 3-4 packs of ground.
Last weekend of season - 100 lb doe - 1 3/4 full bag of meat.
Last day of season - 160 lb 10-point 3.5 yr old buck - two half-full bags that equal one full bag.
Last day of season - 85 lb doe - one half full bag.

My friend and I dropped off the last doe and buck within 12 hours of each other and when I picked up my doe I questioned how that could be all the meat and the guy basically played dumb. My buddy picked up his buck which was a clean heart shot with a .243 and the guy running the place basically called him a liar and then accused him of gut shooting it and then fed him some line of crap about sometimes heart shots ruin the shoulders and that's probably the issue...we're done. Last year was a similar situation but this year is blatant. They must be skimming off the top, processing the deer in big batches and "guesstimating" who gets what. Something. It doesn't add up.

Has anybody else had a similar situation? Anybody hunt deer in Gadsden county and have a reliable trustworthy processor? My buddies and I have got a bunch of deer for them next season.

Re: Deer processing without getting screwed

Post by turtlecat »

I hate that happened to your friends and you. It can be hard to find a trustworthy processor! I have always used Jones Meats in Climax GA. When I am fortunate enough to kill a deer, I debone it myself and let it bleed out on ice for several days. I mostly get hamburger from it. I have very rarely used other processors. The other processors give me (charge me) for very dark and bloody meat that I know was not my deer. If you take it to Jone's, you get your deer back. At times I've wondered how I received as much as I did! Great folks! Hopefully they are worth the drive.
TurtleCat
WILLIS

Post by WILLIS »

I drive by this place to take deer to jones meat market in climax ga off hwy 84. Jones is about a 30 minute drive from Coonbotton and is by far the best place to take a deer in the entire SE. They have the best service first of all and hands down the best sausage. There is no comparison in quality and quantity with these two places. Coonbottom on the other hand is absolutely a joke for all the reason you already said and more.
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

I never had it as bad as you described, but have wondered in the past.

I decided to buy a northern tool grinder a few years back and have since processed them by myself. Whole cuts (depending upon need) are the easiest (backs strap, tenderloins, stew meat, hams) and I grind anything else. I have a couple of coolers that I lay the meat out in for 3-5 days with layers of ice and a little salt. I just keep adding ice and make sure the meat is not down in the bottom of the cooler. Make sure to drain the water often.
WILLIS

Post by WILLIS »

The buck barn in Bainbridge has always been pretty solid and can be a short ride from Gadsden county depending on what part of the county you hunt.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The best way to satisfy your question about a processor is to go and observe the processing operation.
Watch the result from several deer,not just one.
Two deer of equal size and weight going in does not render equal meat coming out.
Was the deer hung with head and hide and feet?
Was it shot anywhere other than the head?
How much had to be trimming and disposed?
On average you will get back 30% of the gross weight,
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I've heard similar stories about that processor since moving to Tallahassee. X 3 on Jonses. They make the best venison sausage around also
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

I had the same problem with Limestone meat in Wacissa, the 1st year I used them they were great,sausage was good,and the deer and hogs were good avg between on the hoof and packaged meat. second year went downhill,and the last deer I dropped off was a nice 175 pound doe from Kentucky where we had just got a lease,that deer I got back 1 paper bag of meat-and it was mostly ground fat- and they had the balls to charge me for adding fat. I then tried Johnstons in Montecello, 1st year every thing was good, seemed to go down in quality after that.Bought myself a grinder and started doing it myself.
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

That's why I do it myself. I know what's in it!
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

I bought all the stuff this year and started doing mine myself. Netted at least 50% more meat than what I had been getting from the processor. I had someone doing mine the last few seasons, but did not get back 2 entire deer from last season after months of requesting it. I was VERY pleased with how my burger turned out and did not have to add any fat. The burgers hold together fine and are not dry when cooked. Also, very lean when cooked in other dishes. I actually enjoyed doing it myself too. It was quite gratifying to shoot the deer, dress it, ice the meat for 10 days, debone, grind and vacuum seal it. I would be happy to do it for you next year if you're interested. Might even set me up a little operation at the shop :wink:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Clarks meat processing in monticello. Great service every time I've used them.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

CLARKS IN MONTICELLO , HONEST AND GREAT SERVICE HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR YRS .
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

I've weighed and processed many a deer. Rule of thumb is (depending on the shot placement and ruined meat), you should get back 1/3 of the live weight. Hide, guts, bones and body fluids make up most of the weight but you should not get back more meat from a lighter deer unless the shot really messed up some meat. hate this happened to you.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life