ST Marks NWR - 21 Mar 2015

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Hit the refuge today from 1:30PM - 5:30PM. Little bit breezy to start, with a rising tide. Went out to Long Bar gain and tried topside with the Gartside Gurgler but no dice. Went deeper with gold/green polarflash fly or a white/pink/charteuse marabou and ostrich clouser type fly on an intermediate line and got steady action until the wind picked up around 4:30 - then it shut down. Ended up with 13 trout overall, including one at 21", a 20", a few 19"s and 18"s. Only one trout was short. It got a little sporty out on the bar with the wind - I was wading out of the kayak with two anchors down; despite that the kayak was dragging anchors so I packed it in.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: ST Marks NWR - 21 Mar 2015

Post by procraftwes »

Terrier wrote:Hit the refuge today from 1:30PM - 5:30PM. Little bit breezy to start, with a rising tide. Went out to Long Bar gain and tried topside with the Gartside Gurgler but no dice. Went deeper with gold/green polarflash fly or a white/pink/charteuse marabou and ostrich clouser type fly on an intermediate line and got steady action until the wind picked up around 4:30 - then it shut down. Ended up with 13 trout overall, including one at 21", a 20", a few 19"s and 18"s. Only one trout was short. It got a little sporty out on the bar with the wind - I was wading out of the kayak with two anchors down; despite that the kayak was dragging anchors so I packed it in.
Congrats! Best report out of St Marks I've read in awhile.

What depth were you catching them?
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

procraftwes wrote:What depth were you catching them?
Probably 2 - 4 feet. An overall slow retrieve with quick pops between pauses seemed to be better.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Pretty sure I saw you on that bar on the way in, we ran all the way over from other side of rock garden, we were soaked head to toe by the time we reached the lighthouse. You did really good, we only had 4 keepers all day and searched hard for that, caught about 13-14 all day and one big gar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

kenfly wrote:Pretty sure I saw you on that bar on the way in, we ran all the way over from other side of rock garden, we were soaked head to toe by the time we reached the lighthouse. You did really good, we only had 4 keepers all day and searched hard for that, caught about 13-14 all day and one big gar.
It was getting pretty nasty out there in the late afternoon - I had to pump water out of my kayak every 15 minutes or so; it was shipping over the side with some of the waves. It looked like visibility was closing in all around the lighthouse.