St Marks March 20-21

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishforfun

St Marks March 20-21

Post by fishforfun »

Covered a lot of ground with the good weather and new moon tides Friday and Saturday. Went by myself with a bucket of live shrimp to various places to see what was there. Calm seas allowed a full speed ride everywhere till about 3pm each day when the wind and fog rolled in and chased me back to St Marks.

Friday: 11am to 4pm: OAR2K= one grunt; 24 barge and marker = nothing; Rotary reef = one sheephead. No one out there but me and the FWC who checked everything, but very courteous and professional. I was of course perfectly legal.

Saturday: 8am to 3pm: Began the morning with 2.5 hours in the flats west of the channel = two 14+ inch trout, then went east to Peters Rock area in 10-12 feet of water = six sea bass with lots more throw-backs, 2 small 13-15 inch gags.

All in all a nice excursion, but a wet ride in each day against wind and waves. Happy spring is here. FFF
JWLCSO

Re: St Marks March 20-21

Post by JWLCSO »

Was out Saturday for the rising tide till about 4pm. Caught several short trout on east flats, south of rock garden. Went up several creeks, nada. Saw several large schools of sheepshead. Ultimately moved back out between shore line and Gray Mare. Would've been about an hour before high tide. Bite turned on in a major way. 4 slot reds and 8 trout, all around 18-19 inches, one over 20. Never posted on here before, so I thought I'd give it a try. Hope everyone has a great season -