Newer to the Area need help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Cohumulone

Newer to the Area need help

Post by Cohumulone »

Hey all,

Been lurking on here a few months, and finally reaching out for tips. Little background on my fishing: raised in East TN and fished for trout growing up. Lived in AZ for 13 years where I learned how to bass fish out there with some great folks. Moved to Jacksonville in April 2014 and had moderate success surf fishing and got hooked on saltwater fishing on June 29th last year when I landed a 26.5" red from the beach on a 6'6" baitcasting rig (really a bass rod lol). didn't fish much in the fall and moved to Tallahassee in December. I'm not real keen on bass fishing again just yet, as I'm more drawn to saltwater since I've been out here.

Problem: I ain't catching jack. I try to read some tips here, I read the coastal angler magazine section every month, I watch hours of videos from locals on youtube. I do not have a boat or kayak. I'm bank/shore fishing. I can't even get a bite... I've tried spoons, bobber rigs (bought a couple of those cajun thunders and use DOA shrimp, both clear/chartreuse and some glittery red ones), soft jerkbaits, live shrimp using double dropper rigs and Carolina rigs, spooks, poppers, jigs... I've tried high tides, low tides, incoming tides, outgoing tides. I've fished the beached at alligator point, bald point, St George Island. Fished both rivers in St Marks including the point, Carrabelle river, by the lighthouse in St Marks, and several grassy flats as I pass them by and I have my gear with me.

I'm obviously not doing something right lol. Any help would be appreciated.
Williamsdad

Re: Newer to the Area need help

Post by Williamsdad »

After similar initial experiences like you describe, years ago, my boys and I learned the old fashioned way to catch redfish @ Bald Point, on the west end of the state park, around the corner from the really fast moving current. 2 hours before and after high tide always seemed to be the target time. Get some sand spikes, sink live shrimp on a carolinia rig thrown out as far as you can, sit back, have a cool drink, and wait for the rod to bend over. We use to fish 4 or more rods, pretty close together, and it was always a race to see who would get to the strike first. Caught lots of slot and overslot, as well as trout and anything else common to the area, before the family grew into boats - see lucwilliams posts.

Good luck!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Consider up to now just practice.

Since you've only been here since December, you have been trying during the slowest months.
You ain't seen nothing yet!

The fishing is just turning on around here and in about a month you will see a big difference.

Keep it up, your not doing anything wrong, just the slow time of year.

And if you don't have access to a boat, just follow gdroze on this forum. He catches more fish wadefishing than most all of us do in a boat.

We'll be on the lookout for your first successful report.

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

You don't mention your physical abilities, but if they are similar to an Iron Man competitor, contact Gary Droze on this forum. He wade fishes most all of the time and wins a good portion of our monthly NFGFC tournaments.

My other couple of suggestions -
1. Save a few hundred bucks up and get you a kayak. They are cheap / easy way to access a lot more good fishing around here both in salt and fresh water.
2. Come to the NFGFC meetings on the first Thurs. of the month and meet a lot of the folks on this forum. You will likely find yourself a fishing partner. If not, you can pick up some fishing tips, and have some wings and beer.

All that being said, hang in there. The fishing has been hot / cold this year with very little in between. Hopefully it will improve soon.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Hang in there, and like everybody said, it should get better. I have better luck with fish early morning and late afternoon. Usually after 10 AM, it's no good. I haven't tried them yet, but whiting should be on the beaches now taking shrimp and cut bait. Have you fished the St. George Island bridge piers yet? They are usually good this time of year. Good luck.
Yours in the South
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I primarily surf fish and usually catch something. I fish SGI all I can and when the sand fleas show, reds and pompino will be plentiful. I have been out of state working for almost a year now and am having with draws. I should be headed that way monday and fishing SGI the first of the week. If your schedule permits you are welcome to join. I will also post a report. Hopefully we will be back in the area for good in the next month. :smt004 :beer:

Joe
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

You're welcome to go with me inshore fishing in a 21' carolina skiff if we can coordinate it. You'd just need a saltwater license. I'm not the best fisherman on here but i almost always catch something. Probably others would take you on their boat too. Ditto on the advice from others.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
Cohumulone

Post by Cohumulone »

Thanks for all the replies ya'll! Definitely some good stuff.

Williamsdad: I loved it down there when I tried a couple times. Real pretty landscape and wildlife all over. I tried the gulf side of that mouth, but not the bay side. I'll give her a go!!

Woopty: I look for his posts! Thanks for the encouragement!

Steve: I've been looking at kayak fishing pretty hot and heavy the last couple weeks. I'll be upfront that being new to the area and having never lived near saltwater, I'm a little apprehensive about sharks and what not. So, I've kind of shifted my thoughts towards a jon boat. Maybe even set it up so I can flounder gig one day. That looks pretty darn fun. NFGFC sounds like a blast! See ya in May

Dixie: I see the folks out there fishing, but I haven't seen them catching so I haven't tried it. I'll certainly give it a shot next time I'm down there.

Hiljun: My normal days off at work are Sunday and Wednesday. If you're planning to fish Wednesday, I'd love to come along.

Lordsfisher: Thanks for the invite! I have the license as of a few weeks ago (was just fishing on the free shore license prior). When you're heading out and have room, let me know!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

"Steve: I've been looking at kayak fishing pretty hot and heavy the last couple weeks. I'll be upfront that being new to the area and having never lived near saltwater, I'm a little apprehensive about sharks and what not. So, I've kind of shifted my thoughts towards a jon boat. Maybe even set it up so I can flounder gig one day. That looks pretty darn fun. NFGFC sounds like a blast! See ya in May"

I haven't had a lot of trouble with gators or sharks unless I kept my fish on a stringer. I quit doing that shortly after I got a kayak many years ago and have not had any more uncomfortable encounters. Get a collapsible cooler with a little ice in the bottom and keep your catch on board with you. You will be fine.

- Steve
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Cohumulone, I sent you a private message.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12