St Marks NWR - 12 Apr 2015

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks NWR - 12 Apr 2015

Post by Terrier »

Fished the refuge from 9:00AM - 1:30PM - just waded the wash bar today. Decent activity early but slow for the most part. Got a 20" and a hard fighting 24" trout (I released this trout)on a gartside gurgler in the first half hour. Switched to clouser, cowen's coyotes on an intermediate line and got nothing but short hits and tentative bites from either ladyfish or spanish. Switched back to topwater with the gurgler and got an 18" trout right before I left. I also had an enormous tarpon roll right in front of me at the end of the bar - it was 'gonna need a bigger boat' big.

A few pics:

20"

24"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks NWR - 12 Apr 2015

Post by Gulf Coast »

Fished this afternoon from 6:00 to 8:00 and NADA . Fish were there just not picking up what I was putting down
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Terrier,

I was out there early in the morning as well. Got on the water before the sun came up and ran back up the east river. No activity what so ever so I ran to the edge of the flats just South East of the light house. Only there for 8:00 to 9:50. 1 short trout, two big Spanish and lost count on the Lady fish. Water depth 4'-6' and best action on live shrimp under a popping cork.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

randymullaly wrote: I was out there early in the morning as well. Got on the water before the sun came up and ran back up the east river. No activity what so ever so I ran to the edge of the flats just South East of the light house. Only there for 8:00 to 9:50. 1 short trout, two big Spanish and lost count on the Lady fish. Water depth 4'-6' and best action on live shrimp under a popping cork.

Should be better with the coming weekend - more water movement.
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Swing and a miss today, same time, same place. Nothing but Lady fish, cat fish and sharks.