Ideal tackle for Cobia....

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jcflats

Post by jcflats »

What kind of set up do you like? Lb. test, reel type and size, rod type and size, leader type(length and strength)? Favorite bait and method? :cool:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I do very well using my Ambassador 6500 with 20 pound Big Game. 7 foot medium heavy rod with a fast tip for pitching live baits.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Depends on where I am targeting them. I always carry a spinning rig Penn 750 or Shimano 6500 BaitRunner on 7' and 8' rod respectively, 20lb test, 50lb mono leader, pinfish attached to reach out and touch the ones you might see cruising the surface while targeting other species. If on the flats, always have live pinfish dancing behind the boat on the baitrunner,,,cause sometimes you never see em coming. Break out the Penn 4/0 if I see those "moving logs" on bottom around channel markers, bouys, etc. where you have to pull them away from the structure pronto or get cut off. Certainly not as sporting as lighter tackle, but put's more on the dinner plate :lick:
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Penn 7500 30#ande 18" 50lb mono leader with a chartruse cobia jig with quick diconnet swivel.
Penn 7.5' power stick
keep live bait leader ready at all times
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.