Typical start to snapper season

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Typical start to snapper season

Post by zload »

Headed over to Mexico Beach to try for some endangered ARS, as typical waters smooth for the Friday scout trip. Women and children arrive Friday evening late but we're up at 4am to get a spot inside the magic 9 mile line. Launch at 6:00 am and we're running 40 mph until about 6 miles out, choppy but no big deal. Get to the reef to find some other boats (big surprise) with one being a charter who made it vocal on a drift by that we were on his personal reef...

We made one drop and it seems like the waves tripled from a pain to its time to go in just minutes. Headed back in after messing around a little in the lee of SJ peninsula and got waved over in the canal by officer friendly from FWC. Safety check including sticking head down in storage compartment to check gauge on fire ext but never checked the coolers, flares, horn etc. but I offered.

A discussion about class of life jackets and his insistence that my USCG labeled Class II Mustangs were not legal unless worn, I pointed out that he was talking about Class V hybrids per FWC safety equipment page not a Class II PFD his comment was " I don't know about class but those are not legal" but I'm not writing you a citation or anything... Then questioned where we were fishing when I named the reef he asked how far out it was :o I assured him it was inside 9 miles and questioned why they were in the canal... " it's too rough for us to work out there today" was the answer. He was pleasant enough but geez... I guess I'll call the boating safety line and make sure they are still using USCG class ratings at the FWC.

SCA on Sunday and probably won't let up until mid - late week so i guess the quota/season will be closed early from all the over fishing...

Caught some kings at buoy line and tower site on Friday, pretty agressive bite on duster/cigar minnows.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
EddieJoe

Re: Typical start to snapper season

Post by EddieJoe »

I also was stopped and checked by an FWC officer who didn't know the difference between PFD types. Insisted my type III inflatable had to be worn to count toward the requirement. They are either getting dumber or the FWC instructors don't know what in the world they are doing. He finally let up when I showed him the other four hard PFDs for the two of us.
Sometimes it's easier to let them strut rather than continuing to point out the stupids.

EJ
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I don't argue with them as I deal with similar stuff all the time and life is too short as I said he was at least pleasant so no big deal really. My wife suggested I just print out the regs from "their" website and keep them on the boat for future reference... smart woman.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Z load, I enjoy your posts. Try watching Windcast on the internet It's found at Intellicast.com. It's a marine wind forecast for the upcoming 48 hrs. It's very accurate 80% of the time....... for the next 24hrs. It's the best I've seen to date. If you check it daily and then look at the "Real Data" recorded at the Weather Tower the following day, you will gain some confidence. It shows a graphic of the wind every 2 or 4hrs, so you can see when it will be increasing & decreasing. It will have you fishing & boat riding in the right direction & at the right time. Some days it's better to launch at noon & return as everyone else has left the ramp..... just after dark. You will get less beat up......... and enjoy your offshore trips. Let windcast make the decisions.

As far as how to get on some hungry fish, we can chat about that in the future.