Cobia in Carrabelle

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

castnetaholic

Cobia in Carrabelle

Post by castnetaholic »

Finally got on some big Cobia in Carrabelle free-lining blue runners. Caught a nice 42 pounder. I tried to post a pic, hopefully it links up.
cobia.jpg
cobia.jpg (23.12 KiB) Viewed 7454 times
bman

Re: Cobia in Carrabelle

Post by bman »

Nice one! I fixed the photo for you- Drop box is not great for picture linking. Try PhotoBucket.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
castnetaholic

Post by castnetaholic »

bman wrote:Nice one! I fixed the photo for you- Drop box is not great for picture linking. Try PhotoBucket.

Thanks for fixing, I'm still trying to figure it out. I will try Photobucket next time, thanks again.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Outstanding! :thumbup:
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
castnetaholic

Post by castnetaholic »

Quick question. I saw another boat that was chumming with what looked like a pvc pipe shaped almost like a candy cane. They would dip it into the water and shake it up and down (i think to release the chum). We had been there for about 2 hours before we caught the nice cobia, but they had caught two monsters within 15 minutes of arriving. Does anyone know what they were doing differently and what kind of chum dispenser they were using. Looks like they were feelining also and possibly may have been using cigar minnows. Does anyone have any advice on what I could do differently to hook up on more cobia? Thanks for any input, I try to learn something new every trip.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Chum churn.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Basically a pvc pipe with a spring loaded rod tipped with blades inside. Put fresh bait fish in, shake it, and you release sliced baitfish. Cobia are curious creatures so not only will come to chum but also sometimes to the churning. Unless you make your own they don't come cheap as original manufacturer stopped production some time ago. Can find on ebay and /or see how to make mimic device on youtube. Don't have to have them to catch cobia (I don't) but those with them often do well. By the way, my catches definitely seem to have solunar component... may be bite turned on for y'all around same time. Regardless, congrats! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
bman

Post by bman »

Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

We have them for sale at C-Quarters Marina on the Carrabelle River.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

That thing looks like it was adapted from some medieval torture device... :o
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I have one that has never been used that I'll sell ya.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
castnetaholic

Post by castnetaholic »

flatsbroke22 wrote:I have one that has never been used that I'll sell ya.

They look pretty cool, how much do you want?
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I think they go for $150, how's $100 sound? I also put a steel safety lanyard with clip on it so as to not drop it overboard. I have a buddy that has one too and I'm sure he would sell his as well since he doesn't have a boat anymore in case someone else is interested.

2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Tidedancer, does C-quarters have the smaller size version? I have the larger one for offshore, but wouldn't mind picking up a smaller one for the flats boat.
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

flatsbroke22 wrote:I think they go for $150, how's $100 sound? I also put a steel safety lanyard with clip on it so as to not drop it overboard. I have a buddy that has one too and I'm sure he would sell his as well since he doesn't have a boat anymore in case someone else is interested.

If the OP isn't interested, I'll take it or your buddy's if he's interested in selling for the same price.