Official Scallop report thread!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Official Scallop report thread!

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Scallop Season Opens June 27 - Sept. 24
Daily Bag Limit
2 gallons whole bay scallops in shell, or 1 pint of bay scallop meat per person / Maximum of 10 gallons of whole bay scallops in shell, or 1/2 gallon bay scallop meat per vessel
Read More from FWC here: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recr ... -scallops/

:-D Who's planning to go and where? Any one got in the water and checked any of your spots yet? I plan on swimming some spots at St Marks in a week or two t see what's there. If not good we will try Keaton opening weekend. My family really enjoys our all ages underwater Easter egg hunt. :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Scalloping???????

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Image. Image. Image. Sure hope it's good this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Gonna go somewhere. Not hearing many reported sightings yet to decide where.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:Gonna go somewhere. Not hearing many reported sightings yet to decide where.
I've heard 2nd hand that they have been seen at Keaton and St Marks. You planning on scouting before it comes in?
bman

Post by bman »

I always enjoy a few trips... Hoping the rain hold off some and Lanark is good again.
Its nice clear shallow water at low tide!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I did not see any at Lanark yesterday. The water was pretty clear.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
MudDucker wrote:Gonna go somewhere. Not hearing many reported sightings yet to decide where.
I've heard 2nd hand that they have been seen at Keaton and St Marks. You planning on scouting before it comes in?
When I get my new gps/depth finder installed, I am going to take it down to the coast and have a test/scout run. I will let you know what I find.

The Boy Scouts are already pushing me for a date. :-D
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Anyone interested should attend the annual Scallop Seminar in Steinhatchee, Friday the 26th at 7:00 PM. It will be at the Steinhatchee Community Center, 1013 Riverside Drive, Steinhatchee, FL 32359. It's sponsored by the Taylor Soil & Water Conservation District.
Dr. Stephen Geiger, marine biologist with FWC will be there again this year to discuss the annual scallop abundance surveys, as well as answer any questions concerning scallop behavior, habitat, etc.
Lt. Scott Lee with FWC Law Enforcement will also be there to discuss boating/scalloping laws and safety, as well as answer general questions concerning hunting & fishing regulations.
We have one more speaker who has yet to confirm, so I will post the flier as soon as he confirms one way or the other.
The seminar is free to all, and there will be free bottled water and snacks, along with a drawing for door prizes.
We've had a pretty good turnout the last couple of years, and we'd be happy to have as many attend as possible.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:
When I get my new gps/depth finder installed, I am going to take it down to the coast and have a test/scout run. I will let you know what I find.

The Boy Scouts are already pushing me for a date. :-D
Sounds good when I go I'll let you know what I find.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

red_yakker wrote:Anyone interested should attend the annual Scallop Seminar in Steinhatchee, Friday the 26th at 7:00 PM. It will be at the Steinhatchee Community Center, 1013 Riverside Drive, Steinhatchee, FL 32359. It's sponsored by the Taylor Soil & Water Conservation District.
Dr. Stephen Geiger, marine biologist with FWC will be there again this year to discuss the annual scallop abundance surveys, as well as answer any questions concerning scallop behavior, habitat, etc.
Lt. Scott Lee with FWC Law Enforcement will also be there to discuss boating/scalloping laws and safety, as well as answer general questions concerning hunting & fishing regulations.
We have one more speaker who has yet to confirm, so I will post the flier as soon as he confirms one way or the other.
The seminar is free to all, and there will be free bottled water and snacks, along with a drawing for door prizes.
We've had a pretty good turnout the last couple of years, and we'd be happy to have as many attend as possible.
They really need to braodcast it over the net!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

The water was very clear at St Marks today and I found these. Image. The shells were not big but when they opened you can see that the meat is thick. They can swim for two more weeks. Then they better hide. Lol

bman

Post by bman »

That is exciting!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Love some fresh scallops!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D The tide was too high to scallop the spot I checked but I found these right by the boat. Visibility was good I spotted them in 7.5' :-D
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

My last several trips out of Econfina I haven't seen any scallops at all. :thumbdown: :-?