snapper

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

snapper

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I mentioned last week that I had a snapper trip planned and would be missing the NFGFC June Tournament. Matt and I, along with 2 others, headed to Pensacola to meet our long time friend Capt. Chaz Heller. Many of you met Chaz when he fished the PSJ tournament with me. Others may remember his face from random fishing reports or our gator pictures last year. Chaz owns and operates Heller High Water Charters in Pensacola.

We left the dock Saturday morning to some of the flatest seas I've seen over there.

We ran diagonal for 2 hours until we were in 130' of water. Snapper season lasted 17 minutes before we had our limit. Fish would follow others to the surface and most hook-ups were only 20-30' down. At one point Matt was dangling his bait next to the boat while we counted snapper and had a snapper eat it on the service within 2' of the boat. Offshore action like I've never seen.

Proceeded to bounce out picking up scamp, a tile fish, beeliners and vermillions until we got to the first rig. A couple nice fish broken off at the rigs, but we did manage a small tuna and a rainbow runner. I had never been to the rigs before, and they are impressive. Even saw a chopper land on one.

Chaz's better half met us back at the marina for drinks and dinner. Thanks for the hospitality guys. See you soon!

Get out there and chase them before our season is over...
Last edited by SHOWBOAT on June 8th, 2015, 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: snapper

Post by tallykenj »

Congrats.
The Back Porch
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

:thumbup: Nice job Brian, Matt & Chaz!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Beautiful fish!
bman

Post by bman »

That looks like a great trip!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Daaaang! Thaz nize.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.