Keaton scalloping 7/11/15.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Keaton scalloping 7/11/15.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

My family, a friend of my son's and Stewart's family got to the ramp around 7:00 and headed out to fish a little before scalloping. Image. Image. Image. Of course we did not have any luck. So after about an hour and a half of catching nothing it was time to run to our scallop spot and get in the water. Image. Image. They were more scattered than last week. But we were finding enough to not want to move. Image. Image. But eventually we moved the boat just a hundred yards and finished our limit. So the boys and I got to cleaning while my beautiful spouse continued to swim. Image. Image. Image. Image. I had to jump up on the front deck many times to wave my arms at the idiots that were running on plane between our boats that were 50 yards apart. One particularly brazen group flicked me the bird and never slowed down. What a bunch of idiots. Watch your kids closely out there. We had a great time out there otherwise. But then once we got in the canal we ran into this. . . .Image. It was a complete cluster at the ramp. People should understand that if you are at the ramp and your truck is not, let the people around you that had the good sense to get there early and got a good parking spot. Great day with family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton scalloping 7/11/15.

Post by SS-342 »

You could also use the lift at the marina.

Beautiful pictures and super story!

Do you think more can be brought home by cleaning them on the boat?

Thanks for the good report.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

SS-342 wrote:You could also use the lift at the marina.

Stewart went to the lift and was 30 minutes behind us getting out. If you only have 4 on the boat then yes. You can't bring home 5 pints for 5 people. Also it's nice to clean them with a nice breeze and no bugs. We had a great day. :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

SS-342 wrote:You could also use the lift at the marina.

Also a lot of the time you clean your measured limit and it does not fill your pints. You can have one of your people still in the water to bring you more. Just can't have more than 8 gallons in shell(4people) on your boat before you start cleaning. A pint per person up to half gallon(4pints) is the limit. If you have 4 or 12 people.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Looks like yall had a good trip!
Lately I have been seeing more Dum Azzes running boats than ever! Dangerous.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Redbelly wrote:Looks like yall had a good trip!
Lately I have been seeing more Dum Azzes running boats than ever! Dangerous.
It was way worse this sat than the 4th. While cleaning I had to run and jump on the front deck at least a half a dozen times to holler and point to my wife, Stewart and his 8 year daughter in the water that they were about to run over. Do people really not know how far 300' is ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks hit-n-miss, I was thinking cleaning them on the boat might be a volume advantage. That might depend on the size of the scallops? Just a judgement call but the large shell ones seem to have a disappointingly small amount of meat for the shell size? Anyway, the other advantages you mentioned would be nice. I'll just have to consider trying it.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I prefer to clean em at home, after getting the boat washed down and stowed, then sit in the driveway with the radio and some beers. gets the meat ready about the same time the women are ready for them to go in the pot.
850-273-8818