A great day in the woods

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bottomtime

A great day in the woods

Post by Bottomtime »

I wasn't able to spend much time in the woods during archery season but was looking forward to thinning the doe population with the muzzleloader this morning. As does number 12, 13 & 14 walked out at about 7:20 this morning, thunder was made and a healthy 125# slick head made the ride back to the house with me. Since my oldest son told me last night he wanted to sleep in this morning, I knew he would be jacked up to go with me this afternoon. Unfortunately, some time during the morning while I was hunting, he put his mouth in gear before his brain, and he was out of graces with mom. To further drive home the disappointment in his behavior that I expressed to him, I took his younger brother to the woods instead.

Miraculously, my 4 year old sat still and quiet for a little over 2 hours. This was only his second hunt with me. I said a little prayer that he might be rewarded with a deer sighting for being so patient. About 2 minutes later, I looked to our left and saw a deer headed our way. Turned out to be a little (165#) 6 point buck. I whispered for him to sit very still and he whispered back,"are you going to shoot it?" I whispered, "do you want me to?" He said yes and I made thunder again. When we got home he ran in the house, full of excitement, telling mom and his brother all about the hunt.

I think big brother has a good understanding of the phrase "salt in the wound"

Danibeth

Re: A great day in the woods

Post by Danibeth »

Bottomtime-

that's a great picture of you and your son. Congratulations!