NFGFC - Keep it Fun!!!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

Hey, let's not forget to keep the club fun. Let's leave all this bickering about boycott's and otherwise behind!

I'm curious as to how other members feel. Should the club take formal positions on things? I personally think we shouldn't but I'm wondering what others opinions are on this subject.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

DD, good points! I guess I worry that we will never be able to satisfy everyone by taking a stance on issues and I worry that we may lose some members if they vehemently agree/disagree with a particular position taken. Just strikes me that maybe we would be better off to just educate folks on the issues and let them make their own decisions to pursue issues on their own without attaching the fishing club to it.

I will throw this issue out as an example. I personally would be very uncomfortable taking a position say against Arvida's Marina mainly because I know many of the local folks working for Arvida locally and believe them to be "straight up folks". I couldn't support the club if it should take a position on that...THIS IS MEANT AS JUST AN EXAMPLE AND IN NO WAY IMPLIES THE CLUB IS TAKING A POSITION ON THIS. I'm just thinking "out loud".

Of course, from a non-profit tax standpoint it's a given that we can't lobby.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

I whole-heartly agree with all you have said about St.Joe/Arvida but that was just my example.

I just fear we will lose members when we ought to be about fishing, education, and fun. How do we avoid making anybody upset at the club? I think the only way is not to take positions on issues but educate the membership.
mullet

Post by mullet »

I think keeping the club positive will be the way to go. Rather than fight someone elses agenda do all we can the support what we stand for. If individuals want to take a stand I say go for it but leave the club out of it.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

I'm not necessarily opposed to the club taking positions on issues that are within the scope of what we're doing. However, to me it is much more important that we continue to grow and have a good time so I would not want to see us do anything that alienates members. That said, I think the thing we should be doing right now is talking through this topic and then making a decision about how we should go. Should we adopt positions at all? If not, we're done. If so, how do we do it? Majority vote? Unanimous vote? At the discretion of the club's officers and directors? Etc. Let's decide this part of it first so we'll all know where we're going with it. My 2-cents worth.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

Redmann, great points. THis is where I was hoping this discussion would go. It seems like it's more of a policy decision for a young club.

Officers what are ya'll thinking?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I just wanna fish.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

Me too Tom, me too!!!
crabjoe
Site Sponsor

Post by crabjoe »

I belonged to a fishing club in Naples for a while until the members decided that they were going to oppose everything from jet skis to wilderness tours. They peeved alot of good people who had been residents down there for generations. They set their agenda to what they wanted and to hell with everyone else. Needless to say they lost a significant part of their members including myself.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

Crabjoe, that's the kind of response I was looking for from people who have been in other fishing clubs and what they experienced as "growing pains". That's what I hope our club will avoid is taking stands on devisive issues, but where do you draw the line...or do you just decide not to take a stand on anything and keep it fun? I'm asking...I sure have more questions than answers on this one!
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

It's supposed to be fun!!! If you do or don't support certain issues should be a personal decision.
You have got to respect others' rights as long as they are within the law.
I am pro gun and that's my choice. You won't here me bad-mouthing someone else because of thier beliefs on gun control and hunting.
i don't spearfish, but I believe it is anyone's right to do so as long as they observe size and creel limits.
It would be a shame to lose members over political issues. I think this club has one common goal and that is to enjoy each others fellowship and catch a few fish.
dewey's $0.02 worth
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

Sounds like those that have responded to this thread really just wanna have fun without the stress of taking stands. Officers are you listening??????