What, if anything, is biting in the St. Marks river?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

What, if anything, is biting in the St. Marks river?

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

I'm talking the stretch of river anywhere between the fort to just before the lighthouse.

Thinking of maybe going Saturday morning. Tide at the river entrance predicted to be low at 3:55 am and hi at 10:16 am then low at 3:47 pm. At the predicted 20 knots, the wind & resulting waves will likely be way too much for the Tin Can (my 15' jonboat) for venturing anywhere past the lighthouse.

Worth even going? My realistic chance of catching any keeper trout, reds, or other edibles? (Even bass?)

Tips, baits, strategies, advice much appreciated. Even if it's "stay home."
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: What, if anything, is biting in the St. Marks river?

Post by Steve Stinson »

This time of year, you just have to go and see. If the temperature keeps dropping, my bet would be the trout and reds will move into the river. Upriver around Shell Island Fish Camp or up the St. Marks by the power plant you can idle along and keep and eye on your depth finder. You will see them if they are there.
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Ted,

It's either all or nothing in the river. Im there at least 3 days a week in the winter (going Monday for the first time this year). The trout will bunch up pretty tight and Ive found the best way to find them is to troll. I usually use a 1/8 oz jig head with a little yellow or white paddle tail jig. Once you get into them, you can throw the jig and do fine or switch out to a silver rattle trap. Ive had great success that way.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Some nice reds, sheepshead and keeper mangrove snapper have been caught in the St. Marks River over the last week or so. As Steve said, you don't know 'til you go, but the upper stretches of the river will be more protected from the forecast winds.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat