Shooting for Guidance

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

IMHooked

Shooting for Guidance

Post by IMHooked »

I have been fishing St Marks for about a year now, I do great with trout on the flats but that is fairly easy. I grew up fishing in Cedar Key and was very successful finding and catching redfish there nearly every trip, I unfortunately am not having that kind of success here.

I am not looking for tournament holes or specific numbers but can someone please give me some tips on locations or techniques that can help me be more successful at landing some reds.

Thanks for all the help!
cotton

Re: Shooting for Guidance

Post by cotton »

Go up any creek with depth during a tide movement. Stop at every curve, bar or drop off. Cast a curly tail gulp and drag it slowly with or across the current. Make long cast and don't spook em. If you don't catch reds this time of year. Your in the wrong creek.
Red Dawg

Post by Red Dawg »

Imhooked,Not sure what type of boat you fish out of but like Cotton said the creeks are usually best. We have the most luck within an hour or so before and after low tide. We fish out of kayaks so skinny water is not a problem. I also do best catching whatever bait is in the area. Using a brim buster right at the grass line works for bait almost every time. My son does great with a silver spoon but I can't seem to figure the spoon out. Hit just about any point, creek mouth, oyster bar or just where water comes together from three directions works for us. Good luck!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

The reds are not on the grass flats, but there are plenty of trout where the reds are - usually better size ones too.

Think structure, grass lines, bars, drop offs from shallow areas and moving tide. Make sure you can get back out if you are fishing a falling tide. Notice depths as you are going in. Notice where other boats are fishing (for your next trip - no crowding!).
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
IMHooked

Post by IMHooked »

Thank you receive for the advice!