St. Marks 1/2/16

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

milto
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 1/2/16

Post by milto »

Bigphishie and I hit the road around 6am headed to the lighthouse to be there for sunrise. It was a little windy and definitely cold. We got there right at 7 and the peak of a 2ft high tide (and steady north wind), so there wasn't as much water as I would have liked. We loaded up and dropped in and headed east. We took the outside route and got out from the creek we were going into and George headed straight in to the creek. With my cheeks puckered up for the last mile, we were able to make it in with no problems. That said, we knew we were gonna be in there for a while. So we made our way as far back as we could go and just started to disect the creek. On our first stop we just started wearin out the reds. No keepers but cast after cast, redfish after redfish. We got to about 20 and the bite stopped. So we kept making our way toward the mouth stopping every 30-50 yards. At each stop we picked up a trout or two until we got all the way to the mouth. When we got there, the flats were dry and we were locked in for a couple more hours. So we head back to where it started. This time it was 2 big trout followed by keeper reds to rat reds to slot trout to flounder. Each of us picked up our inshore slam in this one spot. Most of the day was spent throwing mirrolures. I even had my flounder hit my mirrolure and come up like a trout and head shake. Swore it was a keeper trout till it got by the boat. We literally stayed in that spot for an hour and a half cast after cast catching reds and trout. Ended the day with 50+reds (6 keeper size) Over 20 trout, all but 1 keeper size, and 2 flatty's both keeper. One of the best days I have had in a while.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 1/2/16

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Dayum.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: That's a great catch for sure! Sounds a lot like Pinhook Creek this time of year. I wonder if anything has made it upriver yet?
Yours in the South
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Where's that "green with envy" emoticon when I need it :wink:

:thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

its at my house, barely catching a limit of trout last thur @ cedar key --- limit means 5 legal trout with 3 people fishing
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

it looked like a pretty boring day based on that snapchat story!

:lol: :lol: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I was super jelly! nice work guys
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Helluva day, guys, especially with conditions! I was freezing my tail off to the west and didn't accomplish anything other than a rough water performance test with the skiff.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

DixieReb wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: That's a great catch for sure! Sounds a lot like Pinhook Creek this time of year. I wonder if anything has made it upriver yet?
I've never been up that Pinhook Creek but I've tromped around the upper (freshwater) part. As a matter of fact, I think I'm the only human being who has ever been there since the Indians aside from the occasional group of kayakers that go farther up than you guys, and the occasional group of hikers that go down the Florida Trail. I've done pretty well fishing too. There's more fish up there than people know.
Bonecracker

Post by Bonecracker »

Great update!! Winter fishing can be spot on if your in the right spot!! salute1
2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP