New Reefs Built Off Carrabelle?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

--------------------------
Most of ya'll know I volunteer some time to OAR. At any rate, unless we can satisfy the legal counsel for Carrabelle there may not be any more artificial reefs built due to a new form The Corp is inserting in reef permits. If any of ya'll know any of the City Commissioners for Carrabelle or Doug Gaidry the City Attorney, OAR would sure appreciate any help we could get to get this resolved. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE! Here's a copy of my draft letter I'll be mailing on Monday.

March 23, 2002

Re :Rose City Artificial Reef Grant Application

Mayor Wilburn C. Messer
P.O. Box G
Carrabelle, Florida 32322

Dear Mayor Messer:
In 2000 during my term as President of the Rose City Dive Club in Thomasville, Georgia, the club decided we wanted to do a project. The natural conclusion was to get involved in building an artificial reef. Since OAR (The Organization for Artificial Reefs, Inc.) has a long history of building reefs in the Carrabelle area with The Citys full support that seemed like the place to start.

We went to OAR and asked what we could do to help build a reef. The Board explained that the way the state decides how to split-up grant money is based on a formula and you get a grade or points for having certain items in your grant. One of the things you get points for is broad based community support so that its clear that its not just going to be a request for state funds. With that information, our club started raising money. We involved not only our small dive club of some 35 folks but a fishing club in Thomasville as well. This also shows The State divers and fishermen working together for the good of the resource. This is not true all over the state and should get us additional brownie points with The State on the grant proposal. We are in no way guaranteed to get this grant. It is judged against the others submitted.

The problem is that this grant is unlike the 11 grant proposals Carrabelle has signed off on since 1982 representing 26 deployments. The Corp. of Engineers apparently has inserted a new form this year relative to liability issues. The state contract will eliminate any possible chance that The City of Carrabelle will be sued for anything. This is a question of function over form. Bill Horn, who is the person at The State who handles the artificial reef grants, has repeatedly told me that nothing has really changed. The City of Carrabelle by contract with The State of Florida could not be sued in the past; and cant be sued relative to this grant should we get it. I know that OAR is putting a packet together that should clearly show the actual fact that The City of Carrabelle can not be sued should Carrabelle be given the grant.

Time is important. Since this issue surfaced late in the process, The State graciously granted us an extension to try to get it resolved. You see we are in a chicken or the egg situation. We cant have The State accept the grant proposal formally until we have the permit in hand; and we cant get the permit from The Corp. until Carrabelle signs off on the paperwork. What Im asking for is that the Commission make sure that Carrabelles legal counsel makes every effort to help us to get this resolved for a win-win situation.

I know that artificial reefs have a very positive economic impact on Carrabelle. In fact, since 1982 some $270,000 has been spent in Carrabelle waters and that doesnt consider the economic impact on the businesses which benefit directly from improved fishing.

I have personally spoken with Gary Sanford at Bridge Marine and Mike Marshall at Marshall Marine. They both agree that artificial reefs benefit their businesses directly. I know other business leaders in Carrabelle are also being contacted by other volunteers about this. I hope yall will continue to work with us to get more reefs built at no cost to The City of Carrabelle but with dramatic positive economic impacts for The City!

Respectfully,

Lisa L. Spooner, CPA/PFS
Past President, Rose City Dive Club (2000-2001)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bottom Line on 2002-03-24 9:27 am ]</font>
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Hey B.L.,
What's going on. In one forum you advocate not to get involved except on a individual basis. Then you post on the next forum asking members to get totally involved in OAR and their interest. Sounds self serving if it suits you. But not self serving if it suits someone else. Where's the medium you were seeking?
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

JT, I'm not asking the club to get involved, just asking if any individuals on this site have any contacts that could help with this problem. I'M NOT ASKING FOR ANY TYPE OF HELP OR ENDORSEMENT FROM THE FISHING CLUB.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bottom Line on 2002-03-24 7:45 pm ]</font>
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

My comments about involvement relate to the organized fishing club having a stated position on things.

If somehow people on this site want to organize say for the grouper regs. that's their peragative (sp) and I have no problem with that. If people want to organize on this site to fight the "net restrictions/ban" I have no problem with that. I'm just a visitor here and not a "member". I think there is a difference.
ferris1248
Site Sponsor

Post by ferris1248 »

BL, check my reference to MBARA on FS
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

A group of OAR volunteers will be making "our case" and answering questions before The Carrabelle City Commission on Thursday, April 4, at 7pm. If you have an interest in reefs continuing to be built off Carrabelle, please join us at The Senior Center in Carrabelle.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

If you are interested in reefs continuing to be built off Carrabelle I would strongly urge you to come to The City Commission meeting in Carrabelle on Thursday night. We need bodies.

If you can't do that. Please call the merchants you do business with in Carrabelle that depend on fishermen and divers for their contributions to their bottom lines (I like saying that)and urge them to show up as I have done.

If we don't get some help I believe no new reefs will be built out of Carrabelle.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

The City Commission authorized the signing of the form we needed to get the permit last night. Now, we must wait on the state to make their grant selections. As I understand it they have about $ 600K to use and received $ 900K in grant proposals. Keep your fingers crossed.

I can tell you that it took a lot of volunteer time to get us to this point and was a true group effort. Several members of this forum pitched in and without their help the process would have died! Thanks for the help!!!!!!