Youth DUK hunt at Guana: Saturday Feb 6

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Youth DUK hunt at Guana: Saturday Feb 6

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Had a great last DUK hunt of the season with my 14 year old daughter. Was a low of 49 degrees but extremely windy Saturday and that changed our plans as we are paddling a Gheenoe. There was no way we were gonna get back to the ramp if we hit open water to make it to a favorite spot. So we stayed close and stayed in the interior. Had quite a few duks in the dekes. Teal, coots, tons of scaup (bluebills), had a pintail work us plus a shoveler and a pair of big ducks I didn’t identify. Singles, doubles, and large groups (10-12) with feet outstretched and wings cupped. It was a great hunt, probably mostly due to not many hunters (Kaitlyn was the ninth hunter at 5:30 am). She shot well with her new Beretta Outlander although she missed a decoying pair of gadwalls. She ended up with 4 greenwings and 2 bluebills. After her limit we just watched the scaup drop into our dekes with feet outstretched and wings cupped landing in the dekes. In the high winds they can just drop down in a heartbeat. Before we pulled the dekes the last two decoying duks were two teal. Man that was SO COOL to watch!

Awesome hunt and a lasting memory!! Gotta love a daughter who loves to DUK hunt!

Brian
Quality Time
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Youth DUK hunt at Guana: Saturday Feb 6

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Awesome report as always. I miss duck hunting. Just too much work for me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

That's awesome to see another young lady enjoying duck hunting! And nice to hear that there were good numbers of ducks in Guana. Been a long while since I've hunted there....but I do love it.....
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Suweet!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!