Econfina Saturday

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fishdawg

Econfina Saturday

Post by Fishdawg »

Tough day at Icky. We fished all over the flats from the mouth of the river to Rock Island. We figured the trout would move out of the creeks. WRONG! Those rascals are still in tight. Find the bait, and you will find the fish. Pinfish were in the grass, and so were the trout and reds. Live shrimp on jig heads and gulp were the ticket for us. The only advice I can give is keep moving in the creeks. The fish are there, but they are like a needle in a haystack. Stopped at Wilson's in Perry this morning, and they had sold out of shrimp by 9:30. They said they had already sold over 3,000 shrimp this morning. Lots of fishing today!
cast-n-stone
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina Saturday

Post by cast-n-stone »

Thanks for your post. Confirms I did the right thing. Was wanting a salt fix but needed to clean up woods also. Turkey coming fast! Figured it would be crowded there and didnt want to fight for space in creeks. GREAT day to burn though!!
Attachments
burn16.JPG
cotton

Post by cotton »

I think the fisherman were thicker than the fish.
Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

I hope my Saturday report helped some folks. I'd sure like to hear some reports from Sunday.
noleswin

Post by noleswin »

Fishdawg,
Did you catch any reds? If so how big?
Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

We caught about 15 puppy reds. Fun to catch, but we failed to catch any keepers. We caught about half on live shrimp and half on Gulps. We caught all of the reds between 2:00-3:30 on Saturday. We had to leave early or we would have gone farther back in the creeks. Once we found the bait, the fish were stacked. We never caught a trout, but I'm sure they were there, too. I was fishing with my dad, and we were having too much fun catching the little reds to chase the trout. My dad turns 80 this year, and thankfully he is still in good health. He always made time to take me hunting and fishing, so now it's my time to take him. It was a tough day fishing, but a great day making memories!
noleswin

Post by noleswin »

We fished south of Ecofina as well. We were looking for Reds for a tournament next week. I caught one puppy out by Rock Island. We caught 7 keeper trout in the afternoon fishing in front and just up in the creeks in that area. We caught all of ours on hard lures. No top water action.

Need to find Reds or Sat is going to be very disappointing. Not good that a front is moving through again the end of the week.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

noleswin wrote:We fished south of Ecofina as well. We were looking for Reds for a tournament next week. I caught one puppy out by Rock Island. We caught 7 keeper trout in the afternoon fishing in front and just up in the creeks in that area. We caught all of ours on hard lures. No top water action.

Need to find Reds or Sat is going to be very disappointing. Not good that a front is moving through again the end of the week.

What tournament are you fishing??