Redfish bag limit change May 1st

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

milto
Site Sponsor

Redfish bag limit change May 1st

Post by milto »

bman

Re: Redfish bag limit change May 1st

Post by bman »

Beat me too it... What do you guys think?
image.jpeg
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Opinions on matters like this are always dicey, as anecdotal responses can't carry the weight of a methodical survey. That said...

I may fish Apalachee Bay more than other Tallahassee resident who works 50 hours a week, and in my experience the redfish seem to be doing quite well. During last Saturday's NFGFC tournament, I caught twenty-seven slot reds in Horns Creek during a two-hour stretch of low/incoming tide. Of course, that was not a typical day, but it gives a glimpse of what appears to be a robust population.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Gary, your tournament experience was an anomaly. The FWC's latest stock assessment showed a decline in numbers in the Northwest region. It's also common on this forum and others to routinely see anglers/coolers with two reds each. For a species with predictable patterns and prone to scent (Gulp! and cut bait), the tendency to tip the balance is very real.

As one of the first speakers before the governor and Cabinet at the historic hearing in 1988 in favor of gamefish status (no sale) of redfish and again at several of the meetings a couple years ago when the FWC was considering raising the bag limit (I argued for status quo), I applaud the Commission for realizing a problem exists and taking corrective action.

I was a professional guide for 15 years and have and continue to make my living in the sport-fishing industry. To ensure a quality fishery, dropping the bag limit to one fish is great news!

Which leaves the matter of seatrout...
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

FWC has come a long way and has surpassed the feds in data collection and management science that allows them to be on top of maintaining stocks of game fish like Red Drum. If the data is showing over harvest in the NW then they are doing the right thing to protect the fishery. The recent actions the FWC has taken on Red Snapper is a good example on management based on the most accurate data available - compared to NOAA. The good thing too is that the FWC is not against raising the limit when data supports that action.

One of the tools FWC uses is the Snook and Game Fish Foundation's iAngler app by Angler Action. A trip log for your phone or device that captures data on trips, catches, areas, etc. that is used with some very sophisticated algorithms for one component of data collection. Check it out and please use it - it's free.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

fine with the change back. It does make tournament decisions a bit tougher.

Wish they would evaluate the bottom of the slot. I personally have no desire to clean an 18" red; 20-27" or 21-28" would be my preference.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Good news! I was never in favor of the bag limit being pushed to two, given the heavy and growing fishing pressure on this species. Looks like those of us that argued against it were on the right track.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I'm OK with the change. I'd like to see a larger population than we have around here.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

SHOWBOAT wrote: Wish they would evaluate the bottom of the slot. I personally have no desire to clean an 18" red; 20-27" or 21-28" would be my preference.
Good idea, Showboat. Wonder if staff has looked at that? There may be a state or two where the upper slot is 28 inches but 27 seems to be the standard throughout the range. Not sure but also suspect that's the size/age gauge when females reach sexual maturity. Maybe EddieJoe, Limitless or another expert will chime in with an answer.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

I don't like this change. I don't get on the water that often, and I appreciated the opportunity to keep a couple of redfish when I do go, as they are great table fare. Fisherman like me were not putting a great deal of pressure on the fishery.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

It looks like they will keep the 8 fish per boat rule. How many of us put 8 people in our boats? It might get a little crowded! :wink:
Yours in the South
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Dave, can you educate us about commercial rules for reds in Florida? I recall being shocked to find out a few years back that a commercial seatrout fishery existed (naïve on my part!). Are FL redfish protected from that kind of harvest?

BTW, I'm actually of like mind with Showboat on the limit change. Lately, I only keep two reds if it ends up being necessary due to tournament-specific rules. In some events, you literally gotta keep two to stay within the rules. That's one argument for photo tourneys.

Finally: any data out yet on impact of letting the trout season go year-round now, or do you think it's too early yet to decide whether that was wise?
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

I think limiting folks to just one Red will lead to more culling just to get a few more ounces of meat. If you think it doesn't happen just go to the rivers in the winter, especially the Econfina and watch what some of the meat fisherman do. I have seen it several times.
Southern Hooker

Post by Southern Hooker »

Redfish cannot be commercially harvested in the GOM with the exception of shrimp boat bycatch.

In addition to being state legislated, this is exactly why it only took a couple of months, some actual science (dated stock assessments, but not purchased science), and the will of the majority to get the powers that be to make a change.
Team Bluewater Predator http://www.facebook.com/BWPFT
Accurate Fishing - Connley Fishing - SMITH Optics - NU-ICE - ATL Fuel Bladders - Canyon Products - Eagle Claw - Engel Coolers - Wet Sounds - KeepAlive - Surf Monkey Gear
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Redfish were taken off the commercial market in Florida after that Cabinet vote in 1988. The previous fish declared a game fish was snook back in 1957.

Seatrout can still be harvested under a limited entry commercial fishery, however. Most are taken by hook and line. Not sure if there are allowances for by-catch in legal seine nets. And some undoubtedly end up on ice because of illegal poaching.

The FWC's Marine Fisheries Division regularly looks at different species as part of comprehensive management plan. Stocks are assessed every few years depending on popularity and then staff makes recommendations to the commissioners for action. I have corresponded with the head of the division a few times recently regarding trout and staff is looking at various factors, including winter harvest, environmental factors (red tide, loss of seagrass, spring floods/low salinity, etc.), bag and size limits and poaching. After the stocks have been assessed, various options are developed to keep the standing stock biomass in a healthy state. Oftentimes when a change is proposed like this one reducing the bag limit workshops are held in the impacted regions and staff solicits input via surveys, boat shows and other venues before the matter comes before the FWC in a final vote. It's a long involved process but as others have pointed out, fortunately the state is doing its best to make decisions based on the latest scientific data for the long-term health of fish. The feds, not so much, as the on-going red snapper snafu clearly shows.

FWC commissioners are appointed to five-year terms by the governor and confirmed by the state Senate. The Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission was approved by a 72 percent margin of voters as part of an environmental constitutional amendment in 1998.