Redfsh limit

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

luceror
Site Sponsor

Redfsh limit

Post by luceror »

As of may1-- one slotfsh/person/day...Im not pleased!
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Re: Redfsh limit

Post by lordsfisher »

I was bummed when I first read of this change. But the more I thought about it I decided that preserving a fishery as much as possible is a good thing. With this change, I should have a greater catch ratio per hour of fishing.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Its a good thing. Stock assessments are down and many guides in the NW region are reporting fewer and smaller reds. It may be frustrating, but its to help conserve the red fishery. If you want meat, you can still keep 5 trout and 15 Spanish...and still 1 Red. :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

As much as I love bringing home 2 reds/person, it's necessary for now. Two years ago not only were reds more plentiful in the areas I frequent, but the slot fish I was bringing home were in the 23-26" range. In the past year, same spots, the average-sized slot fish has been around 20", with far more undersized fish than I've seen in the past.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Jhults11 wrote:...Stock assessments are down and many guides in the NW region are reporting fewer and smaller reds...
Please tell us where to find (online or elsewhere) that "stock assessments are down"? (Good luck with that: the most recent redfish stock assessment report for Florida, published 2015 data through 2013 showed a healthy red drum fishery in the NW Zone)

"Many guides" How "many guides"? Guides from where? The NW region goes from the AL/FL line to Pasco County, FL. What % of ALL guides in the NW region are reporting fewer and smaller reds?
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Yea I to saw that last data analized- was 2013. Fish were PLENYIFUL THEN AND THE COUPLE PRECIDING YRS. I didn't understand that reasoning. Yes I can see that it will decrease my part of the desimation of the species. I can live it.I personally like redfsh over trt but both are good to eat.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Just another example of an overreaching government that has no clue!

They need to take a more proactive view if they think the stocks are falling such as building redfish hatcheries like they have done in Louisiana and Texas to support the fish stocks.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

I think hatchery fish should be a last resort. The ones from the hatchery loose something, kinda like those puppy breeding factories. Those fish aren't going to be as wary. Here's an alternative... how about increasing the number of sharks that can be taken? I wonder how many redfish a bull shark eats. I bet increasing shark populations are putting a big dent in redfish populations. What are your opinions on that?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My opinion may not be popular, but if there is any evidence, even anecdotal, that the redfish fishery is under a strain, then lowering the bag limit is easily implemented and if no change is noted, easily rescinded. I have no problem with erring on the side of caution in this case. Redfish is easily my favorite fish to eat (don't even keep trout unless I am planning to host a fish fry), so it will hurt me some too. The time it takes and the methodology of a scientific (and more importantly, an accurate) study would probably be closing the barn door after the horse had left, got hit by a truck and sent to France for food. 3 hours and some stink bait and you can feed your family for a solid week on Lake Talquin.
They need to take a more proactive view if they think the stocks are falling such as building redfish hatcheries like they have done in Louisiana and Texas to support the fish stocks.
On this, I agree.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

lordsfisher wrote:I think hatchery fish should be a last resort. The ones from the hatchery loose something, kinda like those puppy breeding factories. Those fish aren't going to be as wary. Here's an alternative... how about increasing the number of sharks that can be taken? I wonder how many redfish a bull shark eats. I bet increasing shark populations are putting a big dent in redfish populations. What are your opinions on that?
You may be right,but I've seen nor heard of any such evidence from Louisiana or Texas. The redfish populations there are super.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Regarding hatchery fish, this is just an example for thought, and don't know if it applies to redfish. But many moons ago, I was a fish and wildlife biologist for the US F&W Service in Utah in the mountains. We could always tell hatchery trout because they would be swimming down the middle of the creek in plain view. The wild trout had much better instincts and wouldn't be seen because they were hidden under the cover of the banks, all confirmed by electroshocking and fluorescent scale tagging of hatchery fish. Hatchery fish were easy prey for predators and quick to take any hook. The cautions are that the hatchery raising might dumb down the population and have unforeseen consequences. So it's best to focus on habitat preservation especially fish nursery areas. Just my opinion, others may disagree.
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

I agree with Lordsfisher. Hatchery fish are not wild fish and do not have the same instincts or hardiness that wild fish have. We catch stockers all day in North Carolina and they dont fight as hard or have the color of natural fish. Also I have no problem with them bringing the limit of reds back down to one. I was fine with it before they raised it to two and I am fine with it now. Catch an upper slot red and its plenty of meat for dinner. I love fishing in the big bend area and anything that helps the fish stocks sounds like a good idea to me. Less fish going home equals more fish to catch. Also Muducker you complain of overreaching government oversight but without some oversight there will be no fish for anyone. There are more and more people fishing everyday and I am fine erring on the side of caution to preserve the resources we have for me and my two young sons.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

You guys are comparing two different stock fish. Go to Venice and tell me when you catch a wimpy redfish. By the way that fishery has been fished much more than our area, anglers have bigger creels, bigger fish. Even after being oiled. Answer to the redfish should definitely involve habitat preservation but much more of an enforcement presence. What is the mortality rate after being caught? They are still a lot of live and cut bait fishermen out there. Are they using circle hooks? How many fish are getting hooked deep then thrown back to the catfish and sharks? We have a major catfish problem. Why are they not managing the red tide problem? I am all for counter measures to save a fishery but I don't think blaming law abiding anglers is the resolution ever?

As far as the meat complaint, come on guys they are plenty of fish out there to eat. No limit on croakers and it's the same as a redfish. Whiting are great too along with sand trout. Rock bass have a very liberal limit and are the best eating in our area. Use the opportunity to try something new it will be fun.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Well, I'm sure you guys will be happy to know, your "overreaching government" will be building a marine sportfish hatchery this summer in Pensacola, Florida. I just don't get why all you guys cant get onboard with the conservation mindset. FWC is trying to sustain the population of Redfish by taking a precautionary approach while still allowing stakeholders to harvest 1 fish per day. Do you guys not want Redfish for your children and grandchildren to catch in the future? This constant behavioral mindset of me me me just isn't going to work. The sooner we can take a step back and look at the big picture, the better we may understand the reasoning behind the necessary changes going into effect next month.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Talking abt the released fsh being eaten by sharks(some that hvnt been yet released)_saw a show to day where dolphin(as well as sharks) were hanging around and picking off the released ref snappers and groupers that were being caught out of season. Looked like a pretty high mortality rate. Never seen the dolphins take my trt . but been seeing the sharks doing it more often last couple yes. I can live w the 1 fsh limit till we see bigger no#s