Fishing Port St Joe

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kenfly

Fishing Port St Joe

Post by kenfly »

Headed over in the am for a few days staying with my dad at the state park camping. Taking the seaark over and taking dad fishing over the next couple days. Anyone been down there lately and have any advise? Only have fished there a couple times over the last 5 yrs. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing Port St Joe

Post by Rainman »

I'd be interested in how you do! Lots of good fishing around blacks island and back towards pig island. Good grass flats all around. Throw a top water and cover as much water as you can. I also like the shoreline as you head out of the bay, from Eagle Harbor to the mouth. Its usually crystal clear and you can't miss the grass patches. Gulp on bottom for flounder and top water for trout and reds. You don't really have to worry about rocks like you do up here. I run all over, only thing is how deep you are. Some areas have sand bars that get shallow but with the water clarity you can see them well before you run aground. High tide, hammer down all day.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

The next NFGFC tournament is there, so you are going to get way more tall tales that good advice right now. I heard the trout were out in 20 feet of water and there were marlin up the intracoastal canal..... :thumbup:
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Steve Stinson wrote:The next NFGFC tournament is there, so you are going to get way more tall tales that good advice right now. I heard the trout were out in 20 feet of water and there were marlin up the intracoastal canal..... :thumbup:
Lol Steve, don't think my inshore gear is gonna handle the Marlins lol Thanks for the info Rainman, I've already got some top water tied on[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES], I will diff post how I do over there. Someone also told me you can get sheepshead around the buoy markers so gonna give that a try too. One more question is I know people talk about the potholes,bomb holes where area of the bay are they located in
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Talked to Scallop Cove Bait & Tackle last night in anticipation of fishing there today. Decided against it with the approaching front. But the guy there said the water is clear and trout, reds and pompano are are biting well on moving water.

Good luck and let us know how you do. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

The pot holes are mainly in the back of the bay on the flats. Any flat 2 to 6 feet with grass patches is likely to hold fish. Look at a google satellite image of the bay. Stop in at the Cape Trading Post and ask for John or Todd. They are two of my best friends and own the store. Good info, full line grocery store, pizza, fresh donuts in the morning, ice, adult beverages, etc. The Spanish mackerel will probably be thick out from the gas docks and park on St Joe side.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Sorry taken so long to get back with my report, didn't get back till Monday evening and have been running since. Wanna thank y'all for the advice and I did talk to your friend at the trading post and was very nice and helpful. He was right about the fish being in the back of the bay. Saturday I did a lot of riding around just seeing the bay. Was prettier than I remembered. Sat got 3 trout biggest being 22", caught in shallow flat between blacks and conch island . Sun got 1 red 23" and 6 trout. Lost a couple of fish. ImageImageImageImageImageCaught all in the back of the bay about as far as you can go in about 2-5ft. Caught all on bone topwater and a couple on gulp jig. Monday we fished for a couple hours and the fish were not biting at all. Didn't catch a ton of fish but have a great time with my dad for a few days. Also rode over to dockside for lunch Sunday and had a great burger

Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

Thanks Ken :thumbup:
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Well... now we know where majority of boats will be next weekend :lol: :lol:

But really, great report and some pretty decent fishing! Love that SeaArk!!! :beer: :beer:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Thanks for reporting, that's pretty water for sure. Sounds like a good trip with your Dad, he looked like he enjoyed it.
Yours in the South
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

galantnole wrote:Well... now we know where majority of boats will be next weekend :lol: :lol:

But really, great report and some pretty decent fishing! Love that SeaArk!!! :beer: :beer:
LOL :smt005
gary z

Post by gary z »

So who's going next weekend?
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Glad you got into some fish and had a good trip.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Thanks guys!!

kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Oh forgot to tell y'all about what I saw Saturday, as we were cleaning our fish at the fish cleaning station at the ramp, up walks a kayak fisherman and flops his one and only fish of the day, A 28" beast trout , was caught just of the state parks shoreline starting from the point of the harbor going west toward the cottages, we fished that area to but found nothing but a lot of pin fish